What are you essential edits?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#121 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:12 am

straycat wrote:
Eyeball wrote: Anyone who can't see the art in "In the Mood" has no vision and has failed to even make their own point if editing improving something. The final version of "In the Mood" is a well-editied version of what had come previously. The banner, quintessentail Swing recording that defines the era should also be serving as the 'let's go edit a tune' backwoods dj's banner Swing recording of what editing can accomplish. Not surprisingly, though, it remains unchosen as such while plank pounders on the third coast go wade in the water instead.
I have read, and reread this paragraph a number of times.
And still I have no idea what it means, or what you are trying to say here.
Keep trying. The classics are not always easy to grasp at first. 8)
Last edited by Eyeball on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

straycat

#122 Post by straycat » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:13 am

Eyeball wrote:
Keep trying. The classics are not always easy to grasp at first. 8)
It seems the same could be said about communication skills.

I'll leave said paragraph untranslated, as a puzzle for future generations. Perhaps the world simply isn't ready for the message contained therein.

Eyeball

#123 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:30 am

straycat wrote:
I'll leave said paragraph untranslated, as a puzzle for future generations. Perhaps the world simply isn't ready for the message contained therein.
I can parse it out for you, but if you know the subject matter and such you should be able to 'get it'.

There's only two lil typos in there. I'll go fix them to see if it helps.
Will big bands ever come back?

Lawrence

#124 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:45 pm

straycat wrote:
Eyeball wrote: Anyone who can see the art in "In the Mood" has no vision and has failed to even make their own point if editing improving something. The final version of "In the Mood" is a well-editied version of what had come previously. The banner, quintessentail Swing recording that defines the era should also be serving as the 'let's go edit a tune' backwoods dj's banner Swing recording of what editing can accomplish. Not surprisingly, though, it remains unchosen as such while plank pounders on the third coast go wade in the water instead.
I have read, and reread this paragraph a number of times.
And still I have no idea what it means, or what you are trying to say here.
This is exactly why I have Cooper on "Ignore." He even rips himself: "anyone who can see the art in "In the Mood" has no vision and has failed to even make their own point." He probably meant "anyone who can NOT see," but it is funnier (and "truer") as is. :lol:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#125 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:55 pm

Lawrence wrote:This is exactly why I have Cooper on "Ignore."
Now if only that feature also blocked when a user is quoted... only then would it actually be useful.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#126 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:39 pm

I guess that is ONE positive benefit of having Cooper around: Reuben and I publicly agree on something. :shock: :?
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Eyeball

#127 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Lawrence wrote: This is exactly why I have Cooper on "Ignore." He even rips himself: "anyone who can see the art in "In the Mood" has no vision and has failed to even make their own point." He probably meant "anyone who can NOT see," but it is funnier (and "truer") as is. :lol:
No, it isn't remotely why you have me on ignore.

The truly 'funny' thing is how jubilant you are over an insignificant typo. Is it that big a victory for you? Look - it's been fixed. Your "great gettin' up morning" echoes now only with your braying 'laughter'. Hee haw, yahoo.

You can try and deflect the truth if it makes you feel better.

Hollow convictions.

You'll never understand.

straycat

#128 Post by straycat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:39 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:Now if only that feature also blocked when a user is quoted... only then would it actually be useful.
Sorry. I'll try not to do it again 8)

This thread has inspired me to try some editing with Audacity - having heard Manu's edit of 'Going to Zone' on Yehoodi, where he managed to extend the track by a good minute and a half... and it wasn't as hard as I'd expected to produce something similar. Not something I plan to do very much, but two minutes was a teensy bit short to my mind.

Now... off to produce the definitive 28.5 second edit of In The Mood. :twisted:

Surreal

#129 Post by Surreal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:57 pm

I have this terrible urge to try and edit the pitch on any Carmen McRae song.

trev

#130 Post by trev » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:43 am

Surreal wrote:I have this terrible urge to try and edit the pitch on any Carmen McRae song.
LOL :lol:

anton

#131 Post by anton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 pm

This thread just won't die, will it?
JesseMiner wrote: Slim Galliard - Hit That Jive Jack
Removed a chunk of the "noodley" section near the end.
This is one I've done as well, my edit clocks in at 3:20. It's a tricky edit because the tempo varies a lot - after the "guitar noodling" it is much slower so I had to time shrink the last section to make them fit together nicely.

Eyeball

#132 Post by Eyeball » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:43 pm

Hey - I have an edit to approve of.

Benny Goodman did an LP in the early to mid 60s with a big band and 2 or 3 of the tunes were never before recorded Fletcher Henderson arrangements..and they are really super! In stereo.

On Capitol - Title may be "Call Me Irresponsible"

THE LAMP IS LOW (Great reading!)

and

THEM THERE EYES. (Also great.)

ON TTEyes, there is long and modern sounding piano solo by Pete Jolly - a good pianist, but it is a long solo and, to my ears, not especially memorable.

I'd slice it if I played it at a dance.

I'd slice it if I dubbed it to another source.
Will big bands ever come back?