What are you essential edits?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

#31 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:29 pm

djstarr wrote:.... then perhaps the song wouldn't always start a jam.
LOL! :D
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Campus Five

#32 Post by Campus Five » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:40 pm

Woodside - that hurts my feelings.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Eyeball

#33 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:20 pm

djstarr wrote:I'm thinking about making an edit of Jumpin' at the Woodside, that piano intro always bothered me and is not very danceable..... then perhaps the song wouldn't always start a jam.
You stopped too short!

Why not take out the introduction, then take out the last chorus, pull out the odd solos, then add a vocal and add a tango rhythm and boost the rhythm section so the dancers who have to hear a beat can hear it instead of feeling the rhythm. then slow it down a bit for the westies and the blues dancers and the texas trotters...also add sound effects of people cheering...and maybe some left over "OOOooooo!" sounds from the disco era. Also make it into fake simulated stereo.......and change the artists name to King Basie....make him handicapped, too......all in an effort to please some of the most uneducated and artificially discriminating audiences ever born....

........then throw it away
Will big bands ever come back?

Mr Awesomer

#34 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Sometimes Cooper is really funny...

...sometimes.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CountBasi

#35 Post by CountBasi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:03 pm

Campus Five wrote:Woodside - that hurts my feelings.

Mine too

:cry:
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

djstarr

#36 Post by djstarr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Campus Five wrote:Woodside - that hurts my feelings.
lol. Hopefully you understand I'm joking....

btw looking forward to hearing you next week. Bought my tickets for Camp Hollywood!

Campus Five

#37 Post by Campus Five » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:24 pm

there was no sarcasm emoticon present

I will properly admonish you in person next week
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Greg Avakian

#38 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 am

Y'all have trust issues. ;)

Laurie's mom once said something brilliant along the lines of:
"The best introductions are the ones that have nothing to do with the rest of the song but fit perfectly."

Jumpin' is a great example. The intro captures the simplicity of the song, the excitement, the 'get up out of your seat'-ness.

(I just happen to be one of the people who gets up out of his seat to clap for the rest of you) :P
SwingDJ@gmail.com

CountBasi

#39 Post by CountBasi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:46 am

Greg Avakian wrote:Y'all have trust issues. ;)

"The best introductions are the ones that have nothing to do with the rest of the song but fit perfectly."

Jumpin' is a great example. The intro captures the simplicity of the song, the excitement, the 'get up out of your seat'-ness.

(I just happen to be one of the people who gets up out of his seat to clap for the rest of you) :P
Yep, same for Jeep Jockey Jump.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Greg Avakian

#40 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 am

CountBasi wrote:

Yep, same for Jeep Jockey Jump.
Actually, Jeep Jockey Jump states the theme in the very beginning and it is repeated 2 (or 3?) times later in the song.

Jumpin' at the Woodside states a theme in the beginning that is not repeated later in the song. Thus, it's intro is completely different -and it totally fits. Just to be clear, the 'intro' is the part with the piano chords go up and down the scale 4 times (32 beats). The part that comes after -with the interaction between the horns- is the (an) actual theme.

Just to add to the listening pleasure of all who care, I *think* the bass may repeat the 'intro theme' in Jumpin' at the woodside". It's hard to tell if it's exactly the same because of the tempo and the fidelity.

Just something to think about
(and another good excuse to listen to a tune that never gets old!)

Peace,
Greg
SwingDJ@gmail.com

CountBasi

#41 Post by CountBasi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:59 pm

I don't know about that. I don't think the intro is repeated again. Maybe we have different versions. It's no big deal anyway, in the wider scheme of the thread.

Greg Avakian

#42 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:24 pm

CountBasi wrote:I don't know about that. I don't think the intro is repeated again. Maybe we have different versions. It's no big deal anyway, in the wider scheme of the thread.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's only one studio version by Glenn Miller. That's the popular version used by minnie's mochers/mad dog (not sure what the troupe's configuration was at that point) for their competition routine.

It may not be that important, but if someone is listening to that version, I'd want them to know what they're hearing and not make a false assumption.
So, my bad for not clarifying which version. The one I have is on the album "Operation build morale"
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... foxqljldte

If you find the time, I'd be curious as to the version you are thinking of...?
SwingDJ@gmail.com

Mr Awesomer

#43 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:46 pm

I'm with you Greg. I've got three versions of that damn song and it's a clear theme stated at the very beginning and repeated later on.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#44 Post by djstarr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:30 pm

yes, it's a great song. It's perfect. Especially the classic Basie version. That is why I didn't feel the need to use an emoticon to highlight just how much I disagree with editing in general.

There is so much good music. I'd prefer to find a great version of a song than edit something.

CountBasi

#45 Post by CountBasi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Well very much my bad. I have a version by Chris Dean & the Syd Lawrence Orchestra, which I definitely should have said in the first place given the rightful assumption (on my post) would have been Glenn Miller.