Remixed swing music, A Lindy Hop Compilation

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

patrik

Remixed swing music, A Lindy Hop Compilation

#1 Post by patrik » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:50 pm

This CD, For Dancers Only: A Lindy Hop Compilation, contains two interesting songs:
1. Bag's Groove - The Red Holloway Quintet
2. For Dancers Only - The Clark Terry Spacemen

I thought that they where the originals so I bought the original CD:s where you find these songs:
1. Standing Room Only
2. Squeeze Me

The songs seem to be reasonably long (aprox. 4.20) on the "For Dancers Only: A Lindy Hop Compilation" CD, at least according to the corresponding iMix on iTunes, but on the original CDs the songs are much longer and consequently, less danceable, 8 minutes is a loooong time on the dance floor.

As far as I understand it, the songs have been remixed, is that correct? If so, how?

I should have bought the "For Dancers Only: A Lindy Hop Compilation" instead :evil:

CafeSavoy

Re: Remixed swing music, A Lindy Hop Compilation

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:53 am

patrik wrote:This CD, For Dancers Only: A Lindy Hop Compilation, contains two interesting songs:
1. Bag's Groove - The Red Holloway Quintet
2. For Dancers Only - The Clark Terry Spacemen

I thought that they where the originals so I bought the original CD:s where you find these songs:
1. Standing Room Only
2. Squeeze Me

The songs seem to be reasonably long (aprox. 4.20) on the "For Dancers Only: A Lindy Hop Compilation" CD, at least according to the corresponding iMix on iTunes, but on the original CDs the songs are much longer and consequently, less danceable, 8 minutes is a loooong time on the dance floor.

As far as I understand it, the songs have been remixed, is that correct? If so, how?

I should have bought the "For Dancers Only: A Lindy Hop Compilation" instead :evil:
Manu aka Mr Yehoodi edited the songs for the CD.

Shorty Dave

#3 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks Manu Smith for that one. And boy what he did with Bag's Groove was so freakin' brilliant. I'll leave it at that :)

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:57 am

Where would we be without people to correct the mistakes of Jazzmen?

"Hooked On Lindy - 2007"
Will big bands ever come back?

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Manu, got another editing task for you ;-).

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:48 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:Manu, got another editing task for you ;-).
Hahahahaha!!! :D

patrik

#7 Post by patrik » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:04 am

Better buy myself a copy then.

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:52 am

Eyeball wrote:Where would we be without people to correct the mistakes of Jazzmen?

"Hooked On Lindy - 2007"
Or Duke Ellington At Newport. ;)

Or countless other projects in the jazz world. Post-recording manipulation has a LONG history in jazz recordings, long before us Lindy Hop DJs came along.

Manu did a great job with his editing on the "For Dancers Only" project. I was blown away by the results, especially how he handled "Boss Blues" and "Blue Mance". I'm jealous of his mad skillz.

Jesse

Eyeball

#9 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:42 am

Nahhhhhhhhh, it does have have a long history and you have picked the exception to the rule. :shock:

You be very hard pressed to find a history of 'Jazz manipulation' of any consequence.

Jazz had been left largely alone until it was able to be fiddled with...and even then...mist people keep their hands off.

But - there things are over at Columbia in the 1950s with the DE@NJF, as well as some of the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions.

The Ellington was largely a matter of need, rather than 'artistic producers' onj the loose.

The Buck Claytons? I only have had the original Columbia releases. Maybe the Mosaic boxes say something by George Avakian.