Eva Taylor / Irene Gibbons singalike!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

Eva Taylor / Irene Gibbons singalike!

#1 Post by kitkat » Fri May 25, 2007 12:20 pm

After watching videos of a band whose name is spreading like wildfire in the lindy community called Loose Marbles, their singer is the one I'm really interested in. The other musicians are all good, but Meschiya Lake is the archivist, to me.

I've been looking for someone who would sing like some of my favorite never-imitated singers from back in the day, rather than training to have a "Billie-like" sound, a "Bessie-like" sound, an "Ella-like" sound (and I'm not talking young Ella... :-( ), a "Sarah-like" sound, a "Dinah-like" sound, a "Carmen-like" sound, a "Boswell-like" sound, an "Andrews-like" sound, etc.

I was so upset that no one wanted an "Ivie-like" sound, a "Valaida-like" sound, or an "Eva/Irene"-like sound.

Well, I think I found my Eva/Irene-like sound. Meschiya Lake!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Fri May 25, 2007 6:18 pm

There is a singer around LA that does not get a lot of notice in the dance community b/c she doesn't do that many dances, but I saw her last summer and she was SO good! She had the style of a late 20s - early 30s songstress down to a T!

And she had personality, too. It was fun just watching her stage manner and listening to her patter. She had good guys behind her, too, who work Swing gigs.

Janet Klein!

http://www.janetklein.com/

TomHopper

#3 Post by TomHopper » Fri May 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Yeah, I love Janet Klein. I have couple of her CDs. A local DJ in Richmond also like her songs, and he started playing some songs from her CDs.

Overall, I think crowds responds positively to her songs.

Very distinct, individual style. I love it, but I am not sure if I want to listen to her sing all night.

TomHopper

#4 Post by TomHopper » Fri May 25, 2007 8:22 pm

Meshiya Lake YouTube video is awesome, too!

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Sat May 26, 2007 1:32 am

TomHopper wrote:Yeah, I love Janet Klein. I have couple of her CDs. A local DJ in Richmond also like her songs, and he started playing some songs from her CDs.

Overall, I think crowds responds positively to her songs.

Very distinct, individual style. I love it, but I am not sure if I want to listen to her sing all night.
Do you mean "all night" as in like a 3 hour show?
Will big bands ever come back?

wspeid

#6 Post by wspeid » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Tom,

I think you might be talking about my playing from Janet's CD's at the Swing Virginia dances in Hampton Roads, Va. I love her quirky lyrics; she generally get a lot of smiles.

Of the quicker tempo's I've played "You Keep Me Always Living In Sin (198 bpm) and "How Could Red Riding Hood" (224).

"Dont Take My Black Bottom" (168 bpm) is also a popular middle tempo. However, I think the most popular is "Big Time Woman" (a very beginner friendly 118 bpm that is also very playful and lets the follows have a great time milking big swivels and great soft breaks). Nasty Man @ 103 bpm is also an effective transition into a blues set.

However, Janet's realm is more Vaudeville so much of her stuff isn't very dancable; its just not her focus.

Bill