Django Reinhardt

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

#31 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:48 pm

djstarr wrote: I found it on amazon through one of their sellers - they supposedly had a used copy and are sending it to me - we will see what I end up with!
That's what I did too.. Gemm would prolly also work.

Lawrence

#32 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:33 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:in the perfect world , all swing SWING DJ'S would play Django....

unfortunatly most swing djs never even heard of him much less would play him...
Not this again.... :roll:
what what??lol
Just the same old Peter, same old debate.... :wink:
date and time has nothing to do with being good.... :shock:
I agree, completely, as I've said/admited/agreed in other threads. I've told you, I play the shit (not Django, the other vintage shit), Peter, you need not razz me, brother! :wink: But I suggest that the same MIGHT hold true about some modern music.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#33 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:33 pm

main_stem wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:date and time has nothing to do with being good....when will you ever learn that?
Ahmen brother and hallejuah. used to be one of those clones who thought anything before hi fi was crap. * * * Thankfully I learned my lesson many years ago. My DJing improved by leaps and bounds.
No one complains about a good song, except Lawrence.
Dude... I was being sarcastic and embellishing. :roll: :wink: Peter went on his "real SWING DJs play...." kick and I responded tongue-in-cheek, with an emoticon to signal the sarcasm. Add that to the "Not this, again" set-up. :roll:

To clarify even more... I bought the 4-CD Django set on Monday based on SpuzBal Ryan's recommendation (and the implicit recommendation of material it contained from Peter and Rayned). (BTW, there are two "Django and his American Friends" sets available.) I'm eager to find Django that merits the enthusiastic endorsement he received from the crippled guy in "Swing Kids." 8) Because... ya know, those Swing Kids really knew their music! :wink:

But, seriously, calm down, guys, unless you want to inspire people to be just as closed minded as you falsely accuse me of being.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Lawrence

#34 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:38 pm

Roy wrote:I'm curious is this anti-low fi, only groove and westie music a Texas thing? The only 2 DJs who preech this are from Texas. In Chicago even though we play allot of Blues, lo-fi big band is still popular at tempos under 180. In SF it was never only Groove. Groove was mixed in with other stuff. I can never recall a time in SF when anyone was anti pre-1950's music.
I don't know where you're getting an all-groove and westie music preference from Texas, but I hope it was not from me. :shock: Aside from sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek retorts to similarly narrow-minded comments, I'm all about preventing the outright and complete "Westification" of Lindy Hop. Even though I do play Westie music sometimes, I play more original "classic" music (i.e., more than I play Westie music) and I very much want this thing to remain about "Lindy Hop" (like Peter), not sequins and rhinestones and bad Celine Dion music.

To clarify, I helped get the Lindy scene running in your new hometown (Chicago) and DJed there years before you were there. I was known for playing too much lo-fi, big-band original-era music while Riley was playing all his modern Jimmy Witherspoon small-band groove stuff, and I sometimes was even asked by venue owners/event organizers to play no more than two lo-fi songs in a row. I also very much endorsed and even spearheaded the movement away from modern, Neo Swing in Chicago.

I DO remember an all-groove time in SF, and I think I know the DJ whom Kevin said whimsically made fun of vintage/classic DJs, whom I also happen to think is one of the best DJs around: not beacuse he doesn't play vintage music, but because he only plays GOOD music. Just as there is a lot of good vintage music, there's a lot of good hi-fi music out there, too. Plenty of it.
Last edited by Lawrence on Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Mr Awesomer

#35 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:02 am

Lawrence,
I think you just need to learn how to be funny, cause every time you try to be you fail miserably.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#36 Post by djstarr » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:43 am

Lawrence wrote: To clarify even more... I bought the 4-CD Django set on Monday based on SpuzBal Ryan's recommendation (and the implicit recommendation of material it contained from Peter and Rayned). (BTW, there are two "Django and his American Friends" sets available.)
One is "and his American Friends" - the 4 CD set recommended here; the other one is "with his American Friends" - a 3 CD set.

I freaked out a little thinking "oops I bought the wrong one", but luckily I didn't screw up; I'm just paranoid after the Silver Platters clerk ordered the Basie "Chairman of the Board" CD when I really wanted the "Board of Directors" CD (the one with the Mills Bros that is out of print right now).

SirScratchAlot

#37 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:55 am

main_stem wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote: date and time has nothing to do with being good....when will you ever learn that? :shock:
I used to be one of those clones who thought anything before hi fi was crap

-K
well thats Better then the Clone DJ today who thinks slow Groove music will keep Lindy Hop alive... :lol: :lol: :lol:
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

CafeSavoy

#38 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:39 am

djstarr wrote:[ I'm just paranoid after the Silver Platters clerk ordered the Basie "Chairman of the Board" CD .
that used to be out of print too.

main_stem

#39 Post by main_stem » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:06 am

Lawrence wrote:
main_stem wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:date and time has nothing to do with being good....when will you ever learn that?
Ahmen brother and hallejuah. used to be one of those clones who thought anything before hi fi was crap. * * * Thankfully I learned my lesson many years ago. My DJing improved by leaps and bounds.
No one complains about a good song, except Lawrence.
Dude... I was being sarcastic and embellishing. :roll: :wink: Peter went on his "real SWING DJs play...." kick and I responded tongue-in-cheek, with an emoticon to signal the sarcasm. Add that to the "Not this, again" set-up. :roll:

To clarify even more... I bought the 4-CD Django set on Monday based on SpuzBal Ryan's recommendation (and the implicit recommendation of material it contained from Peter and Rayned). (BTW, there are two "Django and his American Friends" sets available.) I'm eager to find Django that merits the enthusiastic endorsement he received from the crippled guy in "Swing Kids." 8) Because... ya know, those Swing Kids really knew their music! :wink:

But, seriously, calm down, guys, unless you want to inspire people to be just as closed minded as you falsely accuse me of being.
HA HA HA. That's funny. Next time you deliberately try to be sarcastic why don't you just put [sarcasm] at the end of your message instead of relying on emoticons which really have no set meaning. You always end up explaingin yourself and the intent of your message in six or seven posts.

Unless of course you've created concise definitions for the emoticons and the rest of us just didn't get/read the memo. Now where did I put that damn memo again... [sarcasm]

See it works so well. Have a nice day Lawrence
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Lawrence

#40 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:08 am

GuruReuben wrote:I think you just need to learn how to be funny, cause every time you try to be you fail miserably.
Hey, pot... this is the kettle... you're black. :P
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Mr Awesomer

#41 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:20 am

Nevermind, I see now the problem is a total lack of a sense of humor.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#42 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:55 pm

[biting my tongue, finally... (ouch! :x )]

How about that Django Reinhart, guy? :roll: I'm looking forward to receiving that boxed set I ordered. Thanks for the recommendation. I really hope I find some good material on it. :)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

djstarr

#43 Post by djstarr » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:14 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
djstarr wrote:[ I'm just paranoid after the Silver Platters clerk ordered the Basie "Chairman of the Board" CD .
that used to be out of print too.
ha - maybe it should have stayed out of print! it's ok, but the same feel and some of the same songs are on Atomic Swing which is so much better.

CafeSavoy

#44 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:02 pm

That's interesting, i didn't think there was that much overlap between those two cds.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fixqrgld6e

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fyxqyjld6e

djstarr

#45 Post by djstarr » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:04 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:That's interesting, i didn't think there was that much overlap between those two cds.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fixqrgld6e

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fyxqyjld6e
so you are saying don't throw "Chairman of the Board" away yet? I've only listened to both of them once through, and not that carefully. Two songs overlap. My first impression was that I like Atomic Swing a lot better, if I had to choose one over the other, that would be it.

and of course I was just really disappointed when I realized it wasn't the Mills Bros album ;-)