Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:35 pm

Lawrence wrote:In a perfect world, real SWING DJs would play great NEW music
Birelli? Okay.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

KevinSchaper

#18 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:46 pm

Lawrence wrote: In a perfect world, real SWING DJs would play great NEW music and leave Django for an interesting history lesson about what people USED to dance to. :P
damn right, fuck that music from the 60's, we need top 40 pop, and we need it now!

(heehee)

KevinSchaper

#19 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:52 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:in the perfect world , all swing SWING DJ'S would play Django....

unfortunatly most swing djs never even heard of him much less would play him...
I picked up that box set cuz I really dug hearing him in a normal combo, rather than an all-string setting.. when it's live, I can really get into string groups (there's a lot in the northwest), but on CD they usually leave me cold.

main_stem

#20 Post by main_stem » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:15 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
Lawrence wrote: In a perfect world, real SWING DJs would play great NEW music and leave Django for an interesting history lesson about what people USED to dance to. :P
damn right, fuck that music from the 60's, we need top 40 pop, and we need it now!

(heehee)
Yeah if they'r dead it ain't worth playing their shit. More new swing! More BBVD and RCR and Atomic Fireballs...

Oy I feel ill now.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Matthew

#21 Post by Matthew » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:51 pm

Hey! I like the Atomic Fireballs!

Mr Awesomer

#22 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:03 pm

Matthew wrote:Hey! I like the Atomic Fireballs!
::points and laughs::
Reuben Brown
Southern California

SirScratchAlot

#23 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:25 am

Lawrence wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:in the perfect world , all swing SWING DJ'S would play Django....

unfortunatly most swing djs never even heard of him much less would play him...
Not this again.... :roll:
what what??lol

everybody on here is sitting here praising the all time King of swing guitar, however it funny how much someone gets praised how little he gets played....
Lawrence wrote:[In a perfect world, real SWING DJs would play great NEW music and leave Django for an interesting history lesson about what people USED to dance to. :P
Ya mean "used to be able to dance to?" and add to that "used to be able to play guitar like" ?

Go ahead and post modern swing guitar players worthy to stand in Django's shawdow SO we can ALL go and purchase this "new" music you speak of....

Same thing goes for Louis Armstrong....

and any more of the Oldies ya wanna bash as being only good for just a History Lesson.... :roll:

date and time has nothing to do with being good....when will you ever learn that? :shock:
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

#24 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:39 am

main_stem wrote:
KevinSchaper wrote:

(heehee)
Yeah if they'r dead it ain't worth playing their shit. More new swing! More BBVD and RCR and Atomic Fireballs...

Oy I feel ill now.
yea, screw dead people....especially if they were the best, so we can play some half baked crap that would otherwise never get played... :lol:

I'll take the guitar player from Atomic Fireballs anyday over Django cause it's a crisp recording!!! :lol:
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Matthew

#25 Post by Matthew » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:22 am

I'll take Django and the Atomic Fireballs any day, because I like them both!

Roy

#26 Post by Roy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:09 am

I couldn't find the boxed set avaliable that Spuzball pointed out, so instead to get thsose recordings when Django played with the Benny Carter band I ordered Benny Carter's chronological classisc 37-39.

I have some other Django Reinhart recordings but I did not find them favorable for dancing. I haven't listened to them for a few years so i'll go back and see if they sound more favorable to the dancers I DJ too.

main_stem

#27 Post by main_stem » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:28 am

SirScratchAlot wrote: date and time has nothing to do with being good....when will you ever learn that? :shock:
Ahmen brother and hallejuah. I used to be one of those clones who thought anything before hi fi was crap (even thoguh I still played lo fi Basie and Ellinton regularly, weird). Thankfully I learned my lesson many years ago. My DJing improved by leaps and bounds.

No one complains about a good song, except Lawrence.

-K
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Roy

#28 Post by Roy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:33 am

I'm curious is this anti-low fi, only groove and westie music a Texas thing? The only 2 DJs who preech this are from Texas. In Chicago even though we play allot of Blues, lo-fi big band is still popular at tempos under 180. In SF it was never only Groove. Groove was mixed in with other stuff. I can never recall a time in SF when anyone was anti pre-1950's music.

For me personally I enjoy it, but I enjoy the music mixed up, too much of anything I get bored of quickly.

main_stem

#29 Post by main_stem » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:17 am

Roy wrote:I'm curious is this anti-low fi, only groove and westie music a Texas thing? The only 2 DJs who preech this are from Texas. In Chicago even though we play allot of Blues, lo-fi big band is still popular at tempos under 180. In SF it was never only Groove. Groove was mixed in with other stuff. I can never recall a time in SF when anyone was anti pre-1950's music.

For me personally I enjoy it, but I enjoy the music mixed up, too much of anything I get bored of quickly.
There is a DJ/Teacher who is very anti pre 50's music in SF (at least 2 years ago this person was) and even took a jab at those who played it when a bunch of us were out to lunch.

I'm removing the person name since they are not on the board.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#30 Post by djstarr » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:16 pm

Roy wrote:I couldn't find the boxed set avaliable that Spuzball pointed out, so instead to get thsose recordings when Django played with the Benny Carter band I ordered Benny Carter's chronological classisc 37-39.

I have some other Django Reinhart recordings but I did not find them favorable for dancing. I haven't listened to them for a few years so i'll go back and see if they sound more favorable to the dancers I DJ too.
I found it on amazon through one of their sellers - they supposedly had a used copy and are sending it to me - we will see what I end up with!