Fats Waller Archive files from his manager for sale on eBay

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

erinregina

Fats Waller Archive files from his manager for sale on eBay

#1 Post by erinregina » Sat May 12, 2007 9:10 am

(Snagged from the Seattle forum)

Thomas "Fats" Waller Archive - A Historic Archive from the files of his manager

AN HISTORIC ARCHIVE FROM THE FILES OF THOMAS "FATS" WALLER'S MANAGER PHILIP PONCE. Over 2500 items, organized into 17 extra-large ring binders and two smaller notebook binders. Includes: signed contracts, copyrights, and receipts, correspondence to and from Phil Ponce (retained copies). biographical material, radio scripts, (mimeograph and hand-written by Waller), posters, flyers, programs, photographs, music and ephemera; covering nearly a decade of the pianist/composer's career from 1932-1942. Condition generally very good. A recent appraisal estimated the value of the archive at $40,000-$60,000.

Buy It Now Price: $35,000

Matthew

#2 Post by Matthew » Sat May 12, 2007 10:18 am

Oh, good. I can use PayPal.

Seriously, it looks like very cool stuff. I love seeing how people write their music.

Maybe a few of us could go in together and split the cost.

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Sat May 12, 2007 11:57 am

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Fats Waller yesterday, while listening to some of his great swing tracks. One talented guy, hard working and successful and seemed to have a natural feel for swing. And one of the few American swing stars to tour Europe, where, amazingly, he played in New Cross in South East London -
http://transpont.blogspot.com/2007/02/f ... -1938.html

He's one I want to read more about.

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Sat May 12, 2007 1:15 pm

What a commentary that something of this value has no place to go and be cherished and winds up on eBay instead.

As I recall, wasn't this up for grabs earlier this year or last year and no one went for it?
Will big bands ever come back?