DJing Soul music in Lindy Events

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

michael-t

DJing Soul music in Lindy Events

#1 Post by michael-t » Sat May 05, 2007 5:39 pm

I've noticed in a recent lindy exchange that some of the DJs tried to play soul music for some of the late night dancing, following a trend that happened in the recent couple of years or so.

Personally, I don't want to argue whether it is proper or not, but I rather put some recomendations for good Soul music. So if you are decided to play Soul, maybe you can find some new tunes beyond "99.7FM KLME Oldies but Goodies".

Here is a pretty good soul collection from Stax records you can use as a starting point: http://www.emusic.com/album/10585/10585562.html

And I've also found this list to be a good resource: http://www.emusic.com/artist/10557/10557745.html

Anyone else has Soul music to recommend?

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Sat May 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Just a "recent" trend? I've been mixing it in for five or six years, now. Lots of Soul is in straight 4/4 time, whether syncopated with a swing or not, so it of course works, even though some purists will of course object.

As for your question, two words: Al Green.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

televandalist

#3 Post by televandalist » Sun May 06, 2007 6:34 am

Michael-t, those are some good collections. As one who follows some of the soul music blogs, I know there is plenty of obscure but awesome soul music out there. That being said, I don't think many of the DJs who play soul are playing soul music simply for the sake of playing soul music. They're trying to create a certain type of party atmosphere, which is why they play a lot of recognizable tunes; the kinds of songs that I remember my folks playing at family reunions, cookouts, and parties when I was growing up. So while I love hearing lesser-known soul tunes, they're not going to make me or anyone else jump up and shout, "Oh, snap! That's my JAM!" if we don't recognize the song. And at about 3, 4, 5am on the last night of an event, most people need all the motivation they can get to keep moving.

alainw

#4 Post by alainw » Sun May 06, 2007 10:23 am

televandalist touched on some great points.

I use soul/motown music to liven up a crowd that may not be accustomed to a whole evening of jazz music - playing familiar jams for people is a great way to create that party atmosphere. So when I feel that people could use an energy boost from some non-swing music, I'll insert three or four songs to get them into the party mood again, and then it's easy to transition back to swingin' jazz.

Check out the Motown Blues Music thread as well as Peter Strom's soul playlist at last year's Showdown.

Alain

erinregina

#5 Post by erinregina » Fri May 11, 2007 3:38 pm

I actually emailed The Man Himself (Peter Strom) for a good soul starter-set recommendation, and I got this... which is awesome...

Atlantic Rhythm & Blues 1947-1974

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Fri May 11, 2007 4:59 pm

i have that atlantic set. it's very nice for listening. i have not tried dj'ing anything off it.
some people complain that it contains edited (shortened) versions of tracks, but for our purposes, that's probably a win.

michael-t

#7 Post by michael-t » Wed May 23, 2007 1:26 pm

televandalist wrote:So while I love hearing lesser-known soul tunes, they're not going to make me or anyone else jump up and shout, "Oh, snap! That's my JAM!" if we don't recognize the song. And at about 3, 4, 5am on the last night of an event, most people need all the motivation they can get to keep moving.
That's an interesting observation, but it seems to slow you down rather then empower you to inspire your dancers... I think you should put it to the test... I know that I did, and never had this kind of problems.

Of course, if you play "obscure" songs, than people will sit out, because many obscure songs are obscure for a reason. (that assertion actually belongs to Dawn Hampton, when she talked about DJs at the Seattle Masters' Weekend)

Good music is good music, if it rhytmic and energetic you'll be dancing. Frankly, I am more likely to sit out on "Walmart's top 20 Motown hits" then some other song that sounds fresh and exciting :)
Last edited by michael-t on Wed May 23, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael-t

#8 Post by michael-t » Wed May 23, 2007 1:36 pm

Lawrence wrote: As for your question, two words: Al Green.
Yes :)

Recently, I really enjoy playing Otis Redding, Irma Thomas, and Rufus Thomas. I find them to have a very raw, gutteral, primal energy that makes me literally want to "move". I get the same feeling from their music like I get from Chick Webb, Johnny Hodges and Jimmy Rushing. Very strong and powerful rhythm, and soulfull expression of either horns or singing.

I love Otis Redding singing, it feels so good. I played some of his stuff mixed with Webb and Hodges at Goodnight Sweatheart (that's a swing camp in the UK) - and I know the english folks are not used to music like that - but they came afterwards and asked "who was THAT?", so I played another one.

I tend to not get very excited the more sugar coated type of soul music, even though I did go through that phase last year ;)

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Wed May 23, 2007 3:03 pm

michael-t wrote: Of course, if you play "obscure" songs, than people will sit out, because many obscure songs are obscure for a reason. (that assertion actually belongs to Dawn Hampton, when she talked about DJs at the Seattle Masters' Weekend)
I'm going to derail this thread slightly - what was the last song we danced to during her session - the latest Junior Mance right? I really wanted to get the song but forgot about it - thanks for the reminder!

and now back to Soul stuff - while I don't quite get it within the context of lindy hop, I do like the genre and enjoy dancing to it; it fits within the blues scene for me more than the lindy hop scene.

FYI Peter Strom will be doing a Soulful Social for us before the Sat night dance at Camp Jitterbug this weekend, I am looking forward to it. I think that's a clever way to recognize this current trend.