Wingy Manone

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:48 am

kitkat wrote:
Wingy has a much more anonymous sound....which makes him ideal for padding your vocal track count if you're spinning for an audience that wants vocals to connect to.
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#17 Post by Haydn » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 pm

kitkat wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Haydn wrote: I'd say the same about Fats Waller. So many of his tracks start beautifully, and then after about a minute, Fats jokey voice comes in and kills them.

That's a good CD.
I agree with you on Fats Waller. At least Fats, Cab and in some respect even Wingy had great rhythm in their voices. For example Erskine Hawkins and Jimmie Lunceford have had numerous sides start out great, just to have them ruined (dancewise) by vocals by the likes of Jimmy Mitchelle and Dan Grissom, but I guess they had to feature vocals to attract the crowds back then.

By the way, the two songs with Wingy I mentioned are also on the new Chu Berry Mosaic set discussed here on swingdjs. I'd recommend getting that set for some of the best Wingy Manone, Fletcher Henderson, Lionel Hampton, Cab Calloway et al sides out there, and all with Berry's great tenor on them. When I can save enough money, that set is a must have.

/Jonas
I don't agree with you guys. Wingy's voice is much less song-killing than Fats or Cab.

I could play 10 songs in a row with 5 of them being sung by Wingy (as long as I threw some other vocalists in, too) and I think almost no one on the floor would notice.

I cannot say the same about Cab or Fats. People would be like, "Okay, enough of this voice already!"
Yes, I agree that Wingy's voice doesn't dominate the sound like the others. By the way, what BPM range did you mean by 'mid-tempo'?

djstarr

#18 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:13 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:Who can't like a guy who claimed "i couldn't have been in bed with two women since i only have one arm" and who sang songs like "I want a cherry for my banana split".
which leads us to "Banana Split for My Baby". ha ha ha.

I found a Mosaic Set of early Louis Prima with Wingy Manone. They started in New Orleans together. So I'm at a dance where either Travis or Freddie were dj'ing [sorry can't remember exactly who] and I hear a song with vocals that sound a tad reminiscent of Louis Prima, but which isn't. I'm like "oh must be Wingy Manone".

trev

#19 Post by trev » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:46 pm

That Mosaic set of Prima/Manone is on sale for 10% off this week (6 CDs - $86.00). Along with our favourable dollar, that might be good enough for me. Does anyone have this set, and does it have much material that would be good at a dance?

Ryan

#20 Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:32 pm

djstarr wrote:So I'm at a dance where either Travis or Freddie were dj'ing [sorry can't remember exactly who] and I hear a song with vocals that sound a tad reminiscent of Louis Prima, but which isn't. I'm like "oh must be Wingy Manone".

Of course that could also be Sam Butera.

djstarr

#21 Post by djstarr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:47 am

Ryan wrote:....
Of course that could also be Sam Butera.
So I need to get my famous autographs in order; along with Dale Chihuly and Teller [from Penn and Teller, he is very nice], I have Kevin Mahogany [thanks Sergio!] and Sam Butera. Sam played at the Italian festival that is held every Columbus Day in Seattle - "Festa D'Italia", this was 6 years ago? Anyhow, it was fun to hear him and I already had the Louis Prima Capitol Collector's Series CD [which I torture Travis with], so I knew who Sam Butera was.

Still riding on Louis Prima's coattails which is quite a feat.

Travis

#22 Post by Travis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:31 pm

trev wrote:That Mosaic set of Prima/Manone is on sale for 10% off this week (6 CDs - $86.00). Along with our favourable dollar, that might be good enough for me. Does anyone have this set, and does it have much material that would be good at a dance?
I bought this set (total impulse buy based off the Mosaic e-mail) - haven't received it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Haydn

#23 Post by Haydn » Sat May 12, 2007 7:09 am

If you like Wingy Manone, check out Nat Gonella. He has a similar understated vocal delivery and recorded some good stuff -

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... fwxqu5ldse

michael-t

#24 Post by michael-t » Mon May 14, 2007 10:48 pm

I've got an album by Rex Stewart And Wingy Manone called "Trumpet Jive".

http://www.emusic.com/album/10604/10604794.html

It has diverse recordings in very good and crisp sound quality. Some songs are weird, but are some are great and feature solid swinging jazz with strong New Orleans, Blues and R&B influences. I like the bluesy influences because it give the music a strong beat and grounded rhythm (ala bounce down ;) ). There are also nice bluesy electric guitar solos, some with an outright hint of twang. Some tracks swing really nice with lots of feeling.

Better buy track by track because some of the songs have kazoo like solos which are a little weird :?

Eyeball

#25 Post by Eyeball » Tue May 15, 2007 3:31 am

I remember that album and I remember not buying it b/c the juxtaposition of the two artists seemed forced, so that threw me off the trail.

Looks like the Wingy tunes are largely unknown tunes or little riff songs or jams that they gave titles to. At least the RS tunes are not all like that b/c I recognize about 7 titles from his sessions.

What are the dates of those sessions for Wingy and Rex?
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#26 Post by Haydn » Tue May 15, 2007 10:05 am

michael-t wrote:I've got an album by Rex Stewart And Wingy Manone called "Trumpet Jive".

http://www.emusic.com/album/10604/10604794.html

It has diverse recordings in very good and crisp sound quality. Some songs are weird, but are some are great and feature solid swinging jazz with strong New Orleans, Blues and R&B influences. I like the bluesy influences because it give the music a strong beat and grounded rhythm (ala bounce down ;) ). There are also nice bluesy electric guitar solos, some with an outright hint of twang. Some tracks swing really nice with lots of feeling.

Better buy track by track because some of the songs have kazoo like solos which are a little weird :?
Thanks - I like the earlier stuff on that album.