Jimmy Smith fans

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

Jimmy Smith fans

#1 Post by SirScratchAlot » Fri May 23, 2003 10:33 pm

I must have to say, I'm a Jimmy Smith freak!

I highly recomend his "sunny side of the street", I think he recorded it with with Stanely T. and Kenny B..
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Lorenzo1950

#2 Post by Lorenzo1950 » Sat May 24, 2003 3:46 pm

I like the Oliver Nelson arrangements and Wes Montgomery duets. Great stuff. I'm new here having dj'ed about a dozen times but I've been collecting music for a long time. I was listening to Jimmy Smith in the mid 1960's when I was a teenager. Walk On the Wild Side is a great song.

Larry from Baltimore

CafeSavoy

Re: Jimmy Smith fans

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue May 27, 2003 1:38 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:I must have to say, I'm a Jimmy Smith freak!

I highly recomend his "sunny side of the street", I think he recorded it with with Stanely T. and Kenny B..
i thought i had that, but i only have _Back at the Chicken Shack_ which includes a version of "on the sunny side the street." The album looks great though, i'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

SirScratchAlot

Re: Jimmy Smith fans

#4 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue May 27, 2003 2:57 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:I must have to say, I'm a Jimmy Smith freak!

i thought i had that, but i only have _Back at the Chicken Shack_ which includes a version of "on the sunny side the street." The album looks great though, i'll have to keep my eyes open for it.
Thats a good CD, but there are others that are great as well....let me check which ones are the better ones. They all tend to have a couple tracks that are real good and then a mix of ones I normally wouldn't spin...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Zot

#5 Post by Zot » Tue May 27, 2003 9:16 am

I also like Jimmy Smith's 'Sunny Side of the Street' from the wonderful and famous 'Back at the Chicken Shack'.

I got onto Jimmy via the Beastie Boys version of 'Root Down'. Jimmy's CD of the same name is well worth getting, IMHO (although not for Lindy Hop purposes).

I do, however, quite like spinning Jimmy's version of 'Night Train' (off The Definitive Jimmy Smith) for dancers, if I'm feeling particularly like grooving up the mood a bit. In any case, 'The Definitive Jimmy Smith' is another worthwhile purchase if you're a fan.