Favourite recording of ... Flying Home?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

Favourite recording of ... Flying Home?

#1 Post by lipi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:39 pm

these threads amuse me.

my favourite is "flyin' on a v-disc/flying home" from the first esquire concert (released on various albums). i've never played it at a dance, though, because it's long and has lots of crowd noise and what have you.

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Lionel Hampton: Reunion @ Newport 1967
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#3 Post by djstarr » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 pm

I love the version on the Lionel Hampton Swingsation series - have no idea when it was recorded but it's around 200 bpm.

My favorite alternative version is one by the Molestics: http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Hok ... B00000I8XO

Joel from Vancouver used to DJ this song back in the day and it still cracks me up: "Flying home - Flying home to Winnipeg -- that's a vacation!".

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:32 pm

You of course cannot beat the Hamp '42 cut with the immortal Jacquet solo (It still blows my mind that Jacquet was only 19 when he blew that solo) but one of my favorites to play is actually by the studio band on the League of Their Own Soundtrack. I think I get more inquiries about that track than any other I play.

GuruReuben wrote:Lionel Hampton: Reunion @ Newport 1967
I lovelovelove this entire album.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Swifty wrote:I think I get more inquiries about that track than any other I play.
I think it goes in the "wrong" order, yet otherwise sounds so close to the original standard versions in its mood/feel/timbres. Definitely a puzzler when you're out on the floor and it comes on.

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:23 pm

When that LP came out in 1967 as "Newport Uproar!", they programeed the tracks very oddly.

Instead of going from the medley of "Hey Ba Ba Re Bop" and "Hamp's Boogie Woogie" right into "Flying Home", they put "Misunderstood Blues" between the 2 track.....which made zero sense. Totally broke up the building excitement there.

They fixed it for the CD.

LP had a great cover photo of Hamp at the NJF at night on stage with everything all shimmering. Quite evocative.
Will big bands ever come back?

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Charlie Barnet's version... purely for the energy of the song. It's only a slightly different arrangement from the standard goodman/hampton stuff, but the energy it's delivered in moves my feet something fierce.

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 pm

A few I play regularly have already been mentioned:

Lionel Hampton - Hamp
Doc's Rhythm Cats - A League Of Their Own Soundtrack
Charlie Barnet - Fabulous Swing Collection (great compilation!)

Two other great versions that I enjoy playing:

Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra - Tribute To A Generation (modern version very similiar to Hamp's in both arrangement and energy)
Joe Salzano - Savoy Nites (I always forget how kick-ass his band was!!!)

Hamp's '67 recording is KILLER, but a bit long for my personal tastes when DJing.

Jesse

Jonas

#9 Post by Jonas » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:06 am

Swifty wrote:You of course cannot beat the Hamp '42 cut with the immortal Jacquet solo (It still blows my mind that Jacquet was only 19 when he blew that solo) but one of my favorites to play is actually by the studio band on the League of Their Own Soundtrack. I think I get more inquiries about that track than any other I play.

GuruReuben wrote:Lionel Hampton: Reunion @ Newport 1967
I lovelovelove this entire album.
The 1942 Hampton version has strangely enough not been overplayed in my scene, so that still really gets me going, but I don't think I've ever heard the 1967 live version in its entirety, and it gets a lot of recommendations everywhere, so I think I'll have to get that album...

/Jonas

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am

JesseMiner wrote:Hamp's '67 recording is KILLER, but a bit long for my personal tastes when DJing.
Indeed... though I used it for an instructor introduction jam with great sucess.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#11 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Indeed it was. Took me a while to figure out it was Flying Home.

I'm actually digging the Glenn Miller/Army Air Force Band version at the moment. Has good energy, kind of similar to the classic Hamp version.

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:10 am

I have a version by Harry James with a false ending that's pretty sweet.