Slim Gaillard

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Slim Gaillard

#1 Post by Ron » Fri May 23, 2003 2:39 pm

I think our best discussions are when we discuss music. So let me pick another artist to discuss: Slim Gaillard.

I play these songs:

8, 9 and 10 (179 BPM)
Atomic Cocktail (127)
Flat Foot Floogie (176)
Groovy Juice Jive (152)
Jump Session (167)
Jumpin at the Record Shop (127)
Potatoe Chips (140) (my favorite of his!)

I've heard others play Yip Roc Heresy, but I wasn't as crazy about it.
I once played Serenade to a Poodle (230), too, come to thin of it.
Any other suggestions?

I keep thinking I should buy a Slim & Slam Cd one of these days, any suggestions?

funkyfreak

#2 Post by funkyfreak » Fri May 23, 2003 2:47 pm

I think DJs lately need to find a different horse to ride, too often I get the feeling that I missed the sign on the front door of the event/exchange that said "Slim Theme Night".

That said, the dude rocks. It looks like a good number of your favorites are on his "The Best of" (Verve) album, also one of the most wide-spread that I've seen in the scene. How are you playing his music if you don't have a record yet?

-FF

GemZombie

#3 Post by GemZombie » Fri May 23, 2003 4:10 pm

I played Potato Chips once... I got annoyed with how repetative it is. I guess I'm into the wrong type of music for that to bother me. :)

Other than that though, I dig a lot of Slim Gaillard stuff.

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Fri May 23, 2003 4:51 pm

GemZombie wrote:I played Potato Chips once... I got annoyed with how repetative it is. I guess I'm into the wrong type of music for that to bother me. :)

Other than that though, I dig a lot of Slim Gaillard stuff.
Ha! Potato Chips was played and played and played in Seattle, it's currently on everyone's "please don't play this song for a while" list.

Lawrence

#5 Post by Lawrence » Fri May 23, 2003 5:57 pm

I don't play jump blues, so I don't play Slim and Slam. :o :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Drew

#6 Post by Drew » Sat May 24, 2003 2:13 am

Slim and Slam were two musicians who were years, even decades, ahead of their time, not to mention at the top of their craft in their day. And they're hilarious. I'm glad to hear more of their music being played.

Some of my favorites:
"Hit that Jive, Jack"
"Dopey Joe"
"Tutti Frutti"
"Bartender Song"
"Chicken Rhythm"
"Laughing in Rhythm"

There is a four-disc set put out by Columbia, I believe, that is called something to the effect of "The Complete Slim and Slam." I have not procured this yet.

The two discs I have are Slim Gaillard: Laughing in Rhythm: The Best of the Verve Years and Slim and Slam: The Groove Juice Special.

Roy

#7 Post by Roy » Sat May 24, 2003 8:27 am

I don't play him much anymore. When I do (about once every 6 months) I either play Tutti Frutti , Atomic Coctail, Cement Mixer, or Groove Juice Jive.

Platypus

#8 Post by Platypus » Sat May 24, 2003 8:31 am

Columbia: 3 disc set "Complete Columbia Master Takes"

Nice to have more than the few choices from the "Laughin' in Rhythm" CD. This set has about 55 cuts, including many of those mentioned above (excluding "Potato Chips"). Quite a few dancable cuts.

And "Hellzapoppin'", from the movie soundtrack, is a bonus track.

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Sat May 24, 2003 12:24 pm

Platypus wrote:Columbia: 3 disc set "Complete Columbia Master Takes"

Nice to have more than the few choices from the "Laughin' in Rhythm" CD. This set has about 55 cuts, including many of those mentioned above (excluding "Potato Chips"). Quite a few dancable cuts.

I didn't know the Hellzapoppin' Jam was on CD anywhere. I'll have to keep my eye out for that, just to have it in my collection :)

mark0tz

#10 Post by mark0tz » Sun May 25, 2003 1:33 pm

Ya, you can get that from Disconforme

http://www.disconforme.ad/

http://www.disconforme.com/pages2/defin ... =DRCD11190

Nice set. Funny, though, when you're listening to it in the car or something, they all sound so alike after a while.
Mike Marcotte

SirScratchAlot

#11 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon May 26, 2003 2:32 am

Platypus wrote:
is the whole song on there? Slim and Slam, only played the intro, the rest was done by the studio's Orchestra(Universal?), pretty damn insulting, since the dancers had acually danced to Basie's Jumpin at the woodside...

another Kinda insult was Day at the Races, while Duke does the intro with Ivie Anderson singing , The studio recorded the rest of the song during the dance segment, If I remember correctly because they didn't think Duke's number reflected the dance enough...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Swifty

#12 Post by Swifty » Mon May 26, 2003 10:47 am

Yes, the song on the Disconforme set includes the intro and main song. They also give credit to Whitey's Lindy Hoppers in the liner notes.

I really dig Slim & Slam. I played "Look Out" during my set on Saturday in Columbus, I think.

Ron

#13 Post by Ron » Mon May 26, 2003 8:12 pm

funkyfreak wrote:...

That said, the dude rocks. It looks like a good number of your favorites are on his "The Best of" (Verve) album, also one of the most wide-spread that I've seen in the scene. How are you playing his music if you don't have a record yet?

-FF
Oh, I have a couple Slim Gaillard CDs, Laughing in Rhythm and 1945 Vol 2, but I don't have one labeled as by Slim & Slam. I'm not quite sure when Slam joined him, or whether he was always with him or what....

funkyfreak

#14 Post by funkyfreak » Mon May 26, 2003 9:29 pm

Ah, I understand now, cool.

-FF

CafeSavoy

#15 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue May 27, 2003 1:17 am

Ron wrote: Oh, I have a couple Slim Gaillard CDs, Laughing in Rhythm and 1945 Vol 2, but I don't have one labeled as by Slim & Slam. I'm not quite sure when Slam joined him, or whether he was always with him or what....
A couple with Slam are the _Groove Juice Special_ (Columbia) and _Slim & Slam_ (Giants of Jazz). They were both recorded in 1938. In addition to the songs already mentioned they also do a decent "Lady Be Good". I don't know if anyone mentioned the "flat foot floozie" but it was probably their most popular song, even Basie covered it. But i think it got overplayed a few years ago.