Favourite recording of ... Tuxedo Junction?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Campus Five

#16 Post by Campus Five » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:14 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
Ryan wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:There's a cd of live recordings of swing era standards that include a version of tuxedo junction by erskine hawkins. It's a little faster and a bit longer too. I wonder if it is the same as the version he ripped.

Any chance you're talking about this one?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... aqoalaiijp
This one:

Great Jazz Bands Play 22 Original Hits

Not sure if the version is the same as the other. It has a pretty interesting "Oh Lady Be Good" by Basie with supposedly Artie Shaw on Clarinet.
There definitely is a v-disc version of LBG by Basie w/Shaw. I have it on Basie record of live stuff from the mid 40's whose title I cannot remember at the moment. You can totally hear that it is Shaw, and it's under 2 minutes.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Haydn

#17 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:53 pm

djstarr wrote:a lesser known version, but one I love, is by the Andrew Sisters. About 125 bpm. They sound very sexy on it.
I like the start of that one, but the vocals are laid on a bit heavy for me. The popular Erskine Hawkins one is good, but it is played a lot. Faster versions I like are the Glen Gray, and another by Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson, available on this CD. The only ones I ever seem to hear played are Glen Miller's or Erskine Hawkins'.
Last edited by Haydn on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lipi

#18 Post by lipi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:55 pm

There definitely is a v-disc version of LBG by Basie w/Shaw. I have it on Basie record of live stuff from the mid 40's whose title I cannot remember at the moment. You can totally hear that it is Shaw, and it's under 2 minutes.
it's on this disc and it rules.

kitkat

#19 Post by kitkat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:26 pm

This isn't my favorite, but I wouldn't go without it now that I've found it:

Gene Krupa's from the 4-disc Proper box set. It makes a great transition into or out of blues dancey songs when my set is mostly old-fashioned swing stuff because it's an old-fashioned swing band playing in a somewhat sultry way at a very slow tempo (110 bpm?)

Campus Five

#20 Post by Campus Five » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:29 pm

There's some great acoustic guitar solo stuff on that track. A real surprise.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Bob the Builder

#21 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:38 am

Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson & His West Indian Dance Band 27 Feb 1940 - blows them all away.
Johnson was such a amazing arranger. If he dadn't been killed a few months later in a bombingrade he would have gone on to be one of the best big band leaders out side the US.

Teddy Stauffer also has a very nice small combo version of it.

Brian

kitkat

#22 Post by kitkat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:23 am

I like some medium-fast version that Mike Faltesek used to play...last time he mentioned it, I was at Herrang, so it must've been a long time ago. Anyway, I liked it. He said it was an Erskine Hawkins recording. Any idea which one it was?

And is this it, or this video one of the other artists people have mentioned here?

Ryan

#23 Post by Ryan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:56 am

kitkat wrote:I like some medium-fast version that Mike Faltesek used to play...last time he mentioned it, I was at Herrang, so it must've been a long time ago. Anyway, I liked it. He said it was an Erskine Hawkins recording. Any idea which one it was?

And is this it, or this video one of the other artists people have mentioned here?

Actually, I think that's a version nobody has mentioned yet... the International Sweethearts of Rhythm. I could be wrong though, I don't have my copy at work. I can check when I get home though.

Haydn

#24 Post by Haydn » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:33 am

kitkat wrote:And is this it, or this video one of the other artists people have mentioned here?
That sounds to me like the standard Erskine Hawkins version speeded up. Or a very good pastiche of it.

dancin_hanson

#25 Post by dancin_hanson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:21 am

Haydn wrote:
kitkat wrote:And is this it, or this video one of the other artists people have mentioned here?
That sounds to me like the standard Erskine Hawkins version speeded up. Or a very good pastiche of it.

Y'know, I'm pretty sure that's the "Snakehips" Johnson version. Virtually the same arrangement as the Erskine Hawkins standard, but sped up to (on my list) 199 BPM. I love it - though I love EH's too :)

Ryan

#26 Post by Ryan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 pm

dancin_hanson wrote:
Haydn wrote:

Y'know, I'm pretty sure that's the "Snakehips" Johnson version. Virtually the same arrangement as the Erskine Hawkins standard, but sped up to (on my list) 199 BPM. I love it - though I love EH's too :)

It is the Snakehips version, I checked when I got home and did a side by side.

Eyeball

#27 Post by Eyeball » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:17 pm

I was listening to the Glenn Miller/Andrews Sisters Volume 1 CD on RCA today and he does a version of TJ that is better than the recording, longer and with much much much better sound quality. He has a good ITM on there, too, with the corny slap tongue tenor notes already scrapped by Beneke and Klink. A "One O'Clock Jump" on there is also good.

Everything else on the CD has vocals.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Chesterfiel ... 1921599322

Haydn

#28 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Eyeball wrote:I was listening to the Glenn Miller/Andrews Sisters Volume 1 CD on RCA today and he does a version of TJ that is better than the recording, longer and with much much much better sound quality. He has a good ITM on there, too, with the corny slap tongue tenor notes already scrapped by Beneke and Klink. A "One O'Clock Jump" on there is also good.

Thanks for posting the link with audio samples - that makes it easy for everyone to discuss different tracks. Yeah, that's a great live CD, love the One O'Clock Jump and In The Mood, the Tuxedo Junction just seems to drag a bit compared with more uptempo versions.

Eyeball

#29 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Haydn wrote:
Eyeball wrote:I was listening to the Glenn Miller/Andrews Sisters Volume 1 CD on RCA today and he does a version of TJ that is better than the recording, longer and with much much much better sound quality. He has a good ITM on there, too, with the corny slap tongue tenor notes already scrapped by Beneke and Klink. A "One O'Clock Jump" on there is also good.

Thanks for posting the link with audio samples - that makes it easy for everyone to discuss different tracks. Yeah, that's a great live CD, love the One O'Clock Jump and In The Mood, the Tuxedo Junction just seems to drag a bit compared with more uptempo versions.
I try and remember to do that, but I usually dont have a point of reference where any particular track is from, but this time i had the CD.

I dont think that TJ "drags'. It's in it's own groove. Pretty close tempo wise to the recording, I guess.

Did you hear the section where people in the audience giggle/laugh? I don't really know why. The only thing we can hear is Moe Purtill hitting the bass drum once, loudly, in a spot where he didn't usually hit it. There's a pause and then laughter. Maybe someone in the band turned and looked at him in mock shock or surprise.

Off topic - there was another moment on the same CD on one of the Marion/Tex duets - she is almost at the end of her chorus when people begin applauding (before she is done) and then cheering a bit. And the reason has to be is that Tex Beneke stood up in the sax section and then walked over to the mic to do his vocal.......and got 'recognition applause' before Marion stopped singing.