Favourite recording of ... Don't Be That Way?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

#46 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:48 am

Haydn wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:It seems that there are two Chick Webb versions of "don't be that way" from 1934 and 1937. I think the 1937 version is the more common.

1934 Classics 1929-34

1937 The Orchestras of 1936-1937
Feb 19, 1936-Sep 23, 1937
I have both CDs, and have just checked the recording details. The one on 'Classics 1929-34' was recorded in 1934 in New York for Decca. The one on 'Orchestras of 1936-1937' was recorded in 1936 in New York on a 16" transcription for radio broadcast. This later version is faster.
Thanks for the recording dates. Oops, i mean the 1934 version is more common. It's also on the Spinning the Webb cd. The later version is also on that cd that has count basie on the first half and chick webb on the second. Sadly the recording quality is very bad.

julius

#47 Post by julius » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:50 pm

My favorite version (again, I come from a listening standpoint and not a 'for dancers' standpoint) is the Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall version because of the story behind it. I'm sure you've heard it all before so I'll repeat it again because I like hearing myself talk!

As the liner notes say, the orchestra was intensely intimidated by the gig because Carnegie Hall had never hosted jazz before and the music critics were in an uproar about this indecorous thing invading their holy ground.

They begin with Don't Be That Way and are audibly nervous. There is no fire, no life, despite this being one of the best outfits in existence at the time.

Gene Krupa realizes what is going on and begins kicking his bass drum REAL hard, but to no avail. The band is still all tensed up. So during one of his drum breaks he plays the loudest, most arrhythmic, and wild eight (eight and a half? nine? it's that bad) counts you can imagine, and the audience positively roars with delight. The band cracks up and loosens up and they proceed to rock that concert hall to the foundations.

GemZombie

#48 Post by GemZombie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:39 pm

I hadn't thought about that story while considering... very good point.

Eyeball

#49 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Transfered from another thread - intact.
---------------------------------------------------

I've never had the impression that the Chick Webb version was anything more than recording that came and went with the public, but was only savored bu Jazz record collectors.

The Benny Goodman version clicked with the public at large, It's better played by a better band and at a more fitting tempo to the piece.

Try comparing the 38 BG Victor recording with the recording he did at Columbia in 1941 with an 'entirely' different band - same arrangement, same tempo, but a different feel. A super sound quality!

Also - The Harry James band version is terrific from 1951(!) on Columbia. Also great audio quality on this one, too.

Mr Awesomer

#50 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:35 am

Let's see. In your latest post you...

1. Don't get why the Chick Webb version is favored.
2. Like Benny's 41 recording over his 38 recording.
3. Also like Harry James' 51 recording.

Thank you for summarizing the opinions already expressed in this thread 10 months ago.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Eyeball

#51 Post by Eyeball » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 am

"A Good Cast is Worth Repeating".

Capt Morgan

#52 Post by Capt Morgan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:23 pm

I'm sure I'll get some music snob boos on this, but . . .

I like playing the version by Pete Jacobs & His Wartime Radio Revue, off of Kiss The Boys Goodbye.

I personally love big band recordings from the 30's and 40's, but I don't like DJing them for one reason . . low fidelity. As a DJ I feel I have to try and keep as many people on the dance floor as possible, and generally speaking, beginners don't like a song that is low fidelity.

Toon Town Dave

#53 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Eyeball wrote:The Glenn Miller AAF band version is very good, too. Starts out very mellow then moves along to a great ride-out chorus.
I just found this on iTunes. I like it.

All 20 of the "Glenn Miller Story" CDs that Avid released are on iTunes in pairs. Lots of good stuff in there along with the stereotypical stuff.

trev

#54 Post by trev » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:...Lots of good stuff in there along with the stereotypical stuff.
Should that be monotypical? :D

I kill me.

Mike

#55 Post by Mike » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:53 am

Just getting back on here from a long absence... My favorite is Teddy Wilson's alternate take on Neatwork's The Alternative Takes, Vol. 1: 1934-1941. I talk about this a little bit on the next Hey Mr. Jesse, and I've been planning a blog post on this song for a while now, I'll link it here when it's up.