Woody Herman

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

Woody Herman

#1 Post by kitkat » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:41 pm

I can't find a thread dedicated to him, and try as I might, I can't find wherever it was that I would've sworn some DJ listed "all the decent lindy songs Woody Herman ever recorded."

I dunno...maybe it was Harry James, but I would've sworn it was Woody Herman.

Help?

And after this, feel free to make this the "Woody Herman thread."

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:09 pm

Do you like WH?
Will big bands ever come back?

fredo

#3 Post by fredo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:47 am

I also remember there being a Woody Herman thread, but I can't find it either. (though maybe I didn't try that hard)
:?

I have his "Blues on Parade" album. There's some good stuff on there.

Dallas Blues and Blues Downstairs are two of my favorites. Of course Woodchopper's Ball is a good one too.

I forget, but there were other decent albums of him, but I can't remember the titles.

Haydn

#4 Post by Haydn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:07 am

I haven't found much good Woody Herman stuff.

Two well known good ones are Woodchopper's Ball and Four or Five Times.

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:13 am

"Herman at the Sherman" is a good dancable side circa 1941 on Decca.

Likely people will find his pre 1945 sides more to their tastes as dancers. More adventurous dancers may explore the great bands of 1945 - 1947.

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:37 am

I've just discovered a good 1940 track called 'Get Your Boots Laced, Papa, Part 2'. It's on the Blues on Parade CD, which seems to be on iTunes 8)

anton

#7 Post by anton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:23 pm

I love the version of "Blowing Up a Storm" that is on Woody Herman at Carnegie Hall, 1946. Slower than the studio take(s) and quite hypnotic. I tend to listen to it over and over again. I've only DJed it once though - the quiet parts get lost if there is too much noise in the room.

And note the talking throughout the song (within the band I presume) and the "yeah!" shout at 4:22 - I just love that kind of stuff. Topic for another thread?

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:13 pm

A few years ago, one of the DJs played a version of "Things Ain't What They Used To Be" off Live At The Concord Jazz Festival on their Yehoodi Radio Show. Since it was on eMusic, I picked it.

In fact, due to the wonders of laptop DJing and Wifi, I am playing it right now at a dance in San Antonio. Going over just fine.

Bad Nathan, surfing forums while DJing.

Nathan

Eyeball

#9 Post by Eyeball » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:36 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: Bad Nathan, surfing forums while DJing.

Nathan
How come? I's the job not interesting to you tonight?

Lars

Woody Herman

#10 Post by Lars » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 pm

This was in today's Milwaukee journal:

Woody Herman Tribute today at MU

Perhaps the best musical bargain in Milwaukee is the annual Woody Herman Tribute big band concert, at 1:30 p.m. today at Marquette University's Varsity Theatre, 1324 W. Wisconsin Ave. There's no charge, but donations are accepted.

Nick Contorno's Original Milwaukee Jazz Orchestra, featuring some of southeastern Wisconsin's finest big band musicians and trumpeter Forrest Buchtel, will play music from various Herman "Herds."

Born in Milwaukee in 1913, Herman led a big band for half a century until his death in 1987. In 1975 he established the Sister Fabian Scholarship Fund, named for a nun who encouraged him at the old St. John's Cathedral High School. It honors outstanding area high school seniors who are jazz musicians. Six finalists will perform Sunday, along with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Marquette University jazz ensembles.

The event includes a silent auction of instruments, sheet music and related merchandise.

Plus in my opinion the Chronological Classics 1936-37 is worth a listen