Narvin Kimball: Ninety and Still Delivering

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

Narvin Kimball: Ninety and Still Delivering

#1 Post by julius » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:59 am

This album kicks butt. Recorded live in 1999 at Yoshi's in Oakland (one of the best jazz clubs in the world) and therefore has impeccable sound. Narvin on banjo, Paul Cosentino on Piano, Evan Christopher on clarinet, bass, trombone, trumpet, drums. A little pre-swing, songs are on the long side, but like the Deemus album, the musicianship is impeccable. Although Narvin is 90 and the other band members are 32 or younger, they all sound like they've been playing trad jazz for eternity.

Albert System

#2 Post by Albert System » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 pm

It was a fun time. We did a week long tour with Narvin. Unfortunately, it was his last tour, and he recently passed away. Kimball played with many great bands over the years including the famous Sam Morgan band out of New Orleans. He plays left handed banjo and sings great.

Paul Cosentino
Boilermaker Jazz Band

julius

#3 Post by julius » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

When he sang St. Louis Blues on that album I thought it was one of the younger guys until I looked at the liner notes. He really sounded like he was 30.

I didn't know you played pianna too. That's pretty cool.

julius

Re: Narvin Kimball: Ninety and Still Delivering

#4 Post by julius » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:20 pm

julius wrote:This album kicks butt. Recorded live in 1999 at Yoshi's in Oakland (one of the best jazz clubs in the world) and therefore has impeccable sound. Narvin on banjo, Paul Cosentino on Piano, Evan Christopher on clarinet, bass, trombone, trumpet, drums. A little pre-swing, songs are on the long side, but like the Deemus album, the musicianship is impeccable. Although Narvin is 90 and the other band members are 32 or younger, they all sound like they've been playing trad jazz for eternity.
(By the way, Evan Christopher does not play bass, trombone, trumpet, and drums in addition to clarinet...I just didn't bother putting down the other musicians. Didn't even notice that when I first wrote it.)

Albert System

#5 Post by Albert System » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:43 pm

Actually, the singer on St. Louis Blues is Marc Caparone, the trumpet player, so your ears did not deceive you.

Yes, it is a well kept secret that I play piano..........

The other players on the ecording are:

Marc Caparone- Trumpet
Clint Baker- Trombone
Tom Wilson- String Bass
Jason Hansen- Drums

GemZombie

#6 Post by GemZombie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Albert System wrote:Actually, the singer on St. Louis Blues is Marc Caparone, the trumpet player, so your ears did not deceive you.

Yes, it is a well kept secret that I play piano..........

The other players on the ecording are:

Marc Caparone- Trumpet
Clint Baker- Trombone
Tom Wilson- String Bass
Jason Hansen- Drums
Neat Paul, such a small world.

Marc is from my home town (Paso Robles, CA). I've always been very impressed with Dawn and his work.

Albert System

#7 Post by Albert System » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:31 am

The world gets even smaller. Dawn is from Pittsburgh. I introduced she and Marc.