Good Benny Carter CD sets?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

TomHopper

Good Benny Carter CD sets?

#1 Post by TomHopper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi.

I like Benny Carter's album "Further Definitions" and more earlier recording done under the name of "Chocholate Dandies" as well.

I would like to look into his work more, but there are too many CDs on the market. So I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions for CDs good for swing dancing, or good CD sets on his work.

Thanks!

Tom @ UVa

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:19 pm

I just picked up the Proper box a couple of weeks ago. I've listened to the whole set once. I recall thinking there were a few tracks I'd DJ and lots that I liked listening to. The liner notes, as usual for the Proper sets are great.

I actually enjoyed a lot of stuff off the 4th CD ('46-'52) in the set. It starts off with a nice version of Moonglow, a little peppier tempo than typical for that piece, riding on an solid can't miss it 4/4 rhythm that would make me want to swing-out while dancing rather than just fox-trot/swing-walk.

There are a tonne of tracks on the set with some great solos from Ben Webster. Lots of his work in Europe, some pretty good, some mediocre.

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:17 pm

I have Benny Carter his best recordings 1929-1940 and regularly use 5 tracks off that CD for DJing.

TomHopper

#4 Post by TomHopper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Thanks for the input!