Uberparty Lindy

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

tornredcarpet

Uberparty Lindy

#1 Post by tornredcarpet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:09 pm

I'm looking for songs that I would call Uberparty Lindy- hard, driving hot jazz rhythm on top of the beat. Basically, stereotypical jungle music.

Mostly found in Artie Shaw, Bill Elliott, Jonathan Stout, gypsy jazz, etc.

Some specific examples of songs, just off the top of my head, and in alphabetical order for the heck of it.
Artie Shaw - Carioca (Begin the Beguine)
Artie Shaw - Diga Diga Doo (Self-Portrait)
Artie Shaw - Lady be Good (Begin the Beguine)
Artie Shaw - Man from Mars (Self-Portrait)
Benny Goodman - Bugle Call Rag (several versions)
Benny Goodman - Swingtime in the Rockies
Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra - Bill's Bounce (Calling all Jitterbugs?)
Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra - Streamliner (Calling all Jitterbugs)
Campus Five - Bloodhound
Count Basie - Lester Leaps In
Count Basie - Shorty George (Complete Decca Recordings)
Count Basie - Topsy (complete decca recordings)
Django Reinhardt - Minor Swing
Django Reinhardt - All of Me
Duke Ellington - Rockin' in Rhythm
Fletcher Henderson - Happy Feet (VJM)
Fletcher Henderson - Big John's Special (VJM)
Glenn Miller - Jeep Jockey Jump
Jonathan Stout Orchestra - Dark Eyes
Kansas City Band - Tickle Toe (Kansas City After Dark)
Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra - Main Stem
Tchavolo Schmitt - Tchavolo Swing
Tommy Dorsey - Well, Git it!

As you see, it doesn't necessarily have to be fast... doesn't necessarily have to be in minor. What do these songs share in common besides the previously mentioned?
For example, Bill Elliott's Streamliner counts but Twelve Cylinders doesn't. A lot of versions of All of Me don't count, but the one in Alors, Viola by Tchavolo Schmitt does, and I can't find my Angelo Debarre cds, but I think his did even more so.

And second question: What other uberparty lindy songs do you know of? Do share.

x-posted on SoCaroSwing
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Yo! Youngblood!

Educate me.

Aside from the fact that these are all hard-driving straight on sides, what else *do* they have in common?

Thanx!

Old School Phool
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:25 am

Eyeball wrote:Aside from the fact that these are all hard-driving straight on sides, what else *do* they have in common?
He was asking the same question :wink:

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:01 am

Haydn wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Aside from the fact that these are all hard-driving straight on sides, what else *do* they have in common?
He was asking the same question :wink:
By cracky! You're right. If you hadn't quoted me, I could have changed my question.

Trying not to get too academic, these are mostly tunes that are all pretty intense with nothing flouncy or commercial about them, no vocals, Swing at it's least forgiving. "Beware the dog" type Swing. "No pansies allowed" type Swing. "Not for squares" type Swing.

Needs more 40 -42 era Dorsey.

Also more instrumental Miller sides like "Keep 'Em Flying".

And there is a Hines side circa 1939 1940 (Among others) that you could drop in here - Father Steps In, I think it is.

tornredcarpet

#5 Post by tornredcarpet » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:11 am

Eyeball wrote: Trying not to get too academic, these are mostly tunes that are all pretty intense with nothing flouncy or commercial about them, no vocals, Swing at it's least forgiving. "Beware the dog" type Swing. "No pansies allowed" type Swing. "Not for squares" type Swing.
Thanks for the song suggestions.
But I would actually look into getting academic here... the music theory behind what makes these songs pure awesome lindy. They put Lindy right into your feet. I also guess I also somehow failed to notice that none of these had vocals. You're definitely right though that this is definitely not swing for the faint of heart. I can also see a side discussion coming out of the question "what makes it swing?" but that extends beyond the scope of this.

So all of these have an AAAB, AAA'B, or AA'AB bar format as most jazz does, and all these share the same stanza/phrase pattern of AABA. But so does most jazz... Will look into dynamics and key signatures later... i'm right now on my lunch break.

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:21 am

I'll likely pass on the academic disection of the tunes, though happy to read it and perhaps comment.

I guess I am no longer into untutored musical analization of hot Jazz and Swing. Or titored, either. The dullest Jazz books are written by professors.

Post way, mein herr.

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 am

o.k., i looked at that list, and by golly, i have no clue what you're looking for, so let me try four songs that i think may fit the bill, and you can tell me whether i'm thinking in the right direction(s).

"flying home", lionel hampton. any version, but, let's say the all-out jam from "the first esquire concert", because it's pure awesome.

"shout and feel it", count basie. hella crazy live version from the golden years, volume 1

"sweet georgia brown", louis armstrong all-stars (edmund hall). live version on mack the knife.

"sing, sing, sing", benny goodman. any ol' compilation.

so which ones of these, if any, fit in your list?

tornredcarpet

#8 Post by tornredcarpet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:03 am

lipi wrote:so which ones of these, if any, fit in your list?
All of those are nice songs, but none of these have quite the driving rhythm that I'm looking for.
Most of the ones you listed have a shuffle and/or a slight back beat that makes it a little more laid back.

Eyeball

#9 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:59 am

Dense, intense, hit the floor running kind of tunes - yet you are ruling out the Hines side and the Miller side I mentioned?????

tornredcarpet

#10 Post by tornredcarpet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:41 pm

Eyeball wrote:Dense, intense, hit the floor running kind of tunes - yet you are ruling out the Hines side and the Miller side I mentioned?????
still trying to find them in the little free time i have with even littler luck. Care to help out?

Eyeball

#11 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Woulds't but I could.

No mp3 skills here yet (haha - 'yet')

There may be sample on line of both.

Head for the online CD shop.

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 pm

tornredcarpet wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Dense, intense, hit the floor running kind of tunes - yet you are ruling out the Hines side and the Miller side I mentioned?????
still trying to find them in the little free time i have with even littler luck. Care to help out?

Father Steps In-
http://tinyurl.com/yz2cvk

The Hines band of 1939 - 1940 is unsurpassed. He had several great bands, but this one is "it". He broke it up at the end of 1940 to get out of a personal appearance contract, but when he re-formed a few months later, several key men were not on hand - including 1/2 his rhythm section...and the world was never the same.

Eyeball

#13 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Keep 'Em Flying - GM AAF band - I prefer the civilian band version more - more manic. Can't find sample on line though. Looks like that 14 CD box set of GM on RCA has been c/o

http://tinyurl.com/yd3nqz

tornredcarpet

#14 Post by tornredcarpet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Eyeball wrote: Father Steps In-
http://tinyurl.com/yz2cvk

The Hines band of 1939 - 1940 is unsurpassed. He had several great bands, but this one is "it". He broke it up at the end of 1940 to get out of a personal appearance contract, but when he re-formed a few months later, several key men were not on hand - including 1/2 his rhythm section...and the world was never the same.
HO SNAP! That is definitely the stuff I'm looking for.
I have Rock and Rye which I picked up in London last time I was there... haven't really listened to it much but I have already loved that version of That's a Plenty.
The album in general has a bit of backbeat though, so it's not quite the drive that I'm looking for this particular grouping, but definitely love dancing to it. I actually feel pretty laid back when dancing to this stuff, especially that version of Cavernism.

Edited: cleaned up quote.

Eyeball

#15 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:47 pm

The Hines album you picked up, judging by the tunes you mentioned from it are all Decca sides from 1934 - 1935. That band had a different feel to it.

The 39 - 40 band is the Hines band at its zenith. One of the Jazz Classics CDs has perhaps 6 tracks from that era.

If this stuff is not out somewhere on CD, then pop onto eBay and look for the Hines LP on the RCA Victor Vintage label. 16 tracks from 39 - 40. Sensational sound quality. Second choice is the 2 LP set on Bluebird. Same tracks and more, but the sound is not quite as crisp. You may notice that once he reforms late in 1940, the new band sounds almost clunky as compared to the previous band. Still sounds fine, but the 'edge' is gone.

There are likely other Hines titles from that 39-40 band that would suit you.....G.T. Stomp.

Just a killer band....with one of the most overlooked drummers in Swing Jazz history - Alvin Bouroughs.