Live albums from dance events

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Cyrano de Maniac

Live albums from dance events

#1 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:25 pm

I'm curious to explore how live bands "manage" a dance floor, like a good DJ supposedly does. Can you recommend any live albums that you know were recorded at a dance event, or at least where the dancers would have been a significant consideration for the musicians?

The only two in my collection that I'm sure were recorded live at dance events are the "Live at The Lindy Binge" album and of course Barbara Morrison's "Live at the 9:20 Special". Though even with those I don't know whether the tracks on the CD represent the bulk of the respective performances, or merely selected highlights, the difference being important to my objective.

Any other recommendations?

Brent

GemZombie

#2 Post by GemZombie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:30 am

Bill Elliott has a "Live at the Palladium Album". It's pretty good.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:55 am

Ellington - Fargo, ND 1940
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:57 am

Also - all your live broadcasts from the 30s and 40s were recorded live at dance events except the ones that were done for a sit down audience in a radio studio.
Will big bands ever come back?

Mr Awesomer

Re: Live albums from dance events

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Cyrano de Maniac wrote:Though even with those I don't know whether the tracks on the CD represent the bulk of the respective performances, or merely selected highlights, the difference being important to my objective.
The Live at the Binge CD covers about 1/3 of the night's performances... mostly towards the end of the evening.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#6 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:41 pm

51st Eight (from Vancouver/PacNW) has a live CD that is pretty good.

Swifty

#7 Post by Swifty » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:46 am

There are a couple of Duke Ellington CDs live at dances (Private Collection 2 and 8 I think), but you have to be careful with ALL "live at x dance" albums as a measure of the band leading the room as most of them are edited down to album length and frequently have the order of the set list changed from the original date.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

Cyrano de Maniac

#8 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:35 am

Thanks Reuben and Ryan. The editing was what I was concerned about, and means that for the purpose I had in mind (learning how a band manages a dance floor), these albums wouldn't be that useful. That of course has little to do with whether they'd be good to pick up for other reasons.

Thanks for the information.

Brent

Campus Five

#9 Post by Campus Five » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:16 am

There is a 6-CD set of Benny Goodman airchecks called something like "Live from the Madhattan Room" from 1937-8. You can see just how little big bands of the day really catered to our kind of dancing. There are plenty of novelties and non-swing tunes, ballads, etc., plus the inevitable band-within-a-band trio and quartet selections. These are complete half-hour chunks of live broadcasts.

Also the live 1937 Basie airchecks from the Savoy might be useful. I can't remember how many of the songs are from a single broadcast, but they seem to be consecutive.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Campus Five wrote:There is a 6-CD set of Benny Goodman airchecks called something like "Live from the Madhattan Room" from 1937-8. You can see just how little big bands of the day really catered to our kind of dancing. There are plenty of novelties and non-swing tunes, ballads, etc., plus the inevitable band-within-a-band trio and quartet selections. These are complete half-hour chunks of live broadcasts.
The only thing you need to factor in about the Madhattan Room is that it was fairly upscale and did not cater to Lindy Hoppers, per se. Same would go with other venues, as well.

Also - damn - what they play during that half hour may reflect the leaders knowledge that what he *is* playing is going beyond the confines of he venue.

Sponsored broadcasts (Called "commercials" back in those days) would be far more likely to have a structured playlist hat might not reflect any need to manage a floor sin=mply b/c there might not even be a floor.

"Sustaining" broadcasts, as they were called, had no ads or sponsors -all music except for announcer gab. These are more likley to reflect what is actually going on during that evening.