Overplayed songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

#46 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:56 am

A question/suggestion:
Next time someone requests an overplayed song, would it be rude to be direct and say something like:
"You know, as a DJ I think I play that song a litlle too much; would you mind if I played something I think is like it and then you could tell if you think it's a cool song?"

It would be a good way to test your ability to read music genres and also get feedback about other songs you might like as much as the overplayed one..

Roy

#47 Post by Roy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:19 am

Greg Avakian wrote:A question/suggestion:
Next time someone requests an overplayed song, would it be rude to be direct and say something like:
"You know, as a DJ I think I play that song a litlle too much; would you mind if I played something I think is like it and then you could tell if you think it's a cool song?"

It would be a good way to test your ability to read music genres and also get feedback about other songs you might like as much as the overplayed one..
I just say that I can't play that song because it has been overplayed and i am afraid that most of the crowd would not like it, is there anything else you want to hear?

Greg Avakian

#48 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:44 am

Roy wrote:
I just say that I can't play that song because it has been overplayed and i am afraid that most of the crowd would not like it, is there anything else you want to hear?
Well, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think I can be really gruff without realizing it, so I'm looking for something that is really soft and non-judgemental. Do you think that by saying you don't think that others would enjoy it you connote that the person requesting has poor taste or isn't hip enough to know what's up to date? I generally don't like to baby people too much, but I want the newbies to feel safe asking for requests...

Roy

#49 Post by Roy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:54 pm

The reality is I'm not going to play it. and I want the person to understand why I won't play it.

There are other DJ's who say sure and just don't play it, and there are others who just say "no" with no reason given.

I get out of "wade in the water" because i don't even own it. And I say which is the truth, that everyone else has it and I didn't want to buy what everyone else is over playing. Is there anything else you want to hear?

Sometimes an out of towner will come up and request something like "zoot suit riot" or "jump jive and wail" and I tell them that i can't play that to a predominatly Lindy Hop crowd, most of the dancers here hate that song. But I can play something else that I think you would like.

julius

#50 Post by julius » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:57 pm

someone here once said his (her) answer to EVERY request was "i'll see if i can work it in".

noncommittal, polite, and honest.

yedancer

#51 Post by yedancer » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:17 pm

julius wrote:someone here once said his (her) answer to EVERY request was "i'll see if i can work it in".

That's pretty much what I do. If I get a weird request, I'll say, "I'm not sure if I have that. I'll check, and if I do, I'll try to work it in."
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Yakov

#52 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:21 pm

julius wrote:someone here once said his (her) answer to EVERY request was "i'll see if i can work it in".

right, and when the requester figures out that "I'll see if I can work it in" means "Fuck off," he feels like a dumbass.

not that that ever happened to me ever, of course.

-yakov

mousethief

#53 Post by mousethief » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:26 am

Yeah, f*** 'em.

Gimme your $5 and get back on the dance floor, chump.

Of course, I very rarely honor requests, because most of the ones I get are "Mildred," "Jump Jive & Wail" or some other nonsense. Half of the time, they are not even song requests but lyric requests.

Song in play:
Darktown Strutter's Ball, Alberta Hunter, Amtrak Blues

"Do you have this song? It starts out slow, then gets faster?"

(Now, I know what he's asking for - but this? This is fun.)

"Like this one?"

"No, it's got a vocalist - a woman singing it."

"You mean like this one?"

"No, it's on a CD..."

*Wait for it*

"Swing Kids. Do you have that?"

(Yes)

"You mean Bie Mir Bist Du Schone?"

"I guess so."

gatorgal

#54 Post by gatorgal » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:26 am

I don't really do that since I pretty much know the instant the person asks for the request whether or not I'm gonna play it. I either say yes or no, and explain when I'm gonna play it or why I'm not.

Those last 2 sentences sounded much clearer in my head.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show