Overplayed songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

Overplayed songs

#1 Post by Roy » Tue May 20, 2003 3:31 pm

What are the most overplayed songs you have heard within the past few months?

In the midwest it has to be In a Mellow Tone, any version. I heard it once in Chicago on Friday, 3 different DJ's played a version of the song at TOE jam on Saturday, and then I heard it again in Chicago on Monday.

For exchanges I think Wade in the Water/Eva Cassidy is the most overplayed song. I hear it a few times at every exchange I have been to in the past year.

GemZombie

Re: Overplayed songs

#2 Post by GemZombie » Tue May 20, 2003 3:41 pm

Roy wrote:What are the most overplayed songs you have heard within the past few months?

In the midwest it has to be In a Mellow Tone, any version. I heard it once in Chicago on Friday, 3 different DJ's played a version of the song at TOE jam on Saturday, and then I heard it again in Chicago on Monday.

For exchanges I think Wade in the Water/Eva Cassidy is the most overplayed song. I hear it a few times at every exchange I have been to in the past year.
Ya, and the local groovers are making me play it. Argh, I'm going to destroy my copy of it.

yedancer

#3 Post by yedancer » Tue May 20, 2003 3:54 pm

GemZombie wrote:Ya, and the local groovers are making me play it. Argh, I'm going to destroy my copy of it.
Haha! I never succumbed to the pressure, so I don't have it.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

GemZombie

#4 Post by GemZombie » Tue May 20, 2003 4:33 pm

yedancer wrote:
GemZombie wrote:Ya, and the local groovers are making me play it. Argh, I'm going to destroy my copy of it.
Haha! I never succumbed to the pressure, so I don't have it.
Someone gave me a copy of it... *sigh*

mark0tz

#5 Post by mark0tz » Tue May 20, 2003 10:03 pm

Hmm, I haven't heard that song in ages. I've been to a few exchanges in the last 6 months and haven't heard it there either. I love her voice; love her albums, but I must admit that that song is kind of spoiled for me having heard it repeatedly a year or two ago.

Anyways, my post just got obliterated by timing out, so I'm going to make this more brief. As to what's played out in the DC area, it's kind of hard to say because I feel that the DJ's here have a broad enough collection that few songs get to the point of being considered overplayed. They're probably the likely subjects in most scenes.

The Ernestine Anderson stuff, "I Love Being Here With You"
Various Ella tracks from Juan Les Pins and Cote d'Azure
Splanky, Corner Pocket from Basie. I prefer the more uptempo (160+bpm) Splanky off of the Golden Years since it's a little unexpected.
Maybe Blues in Hoss's Flat -- then again maybe I just play it a lot and should consider it as a theme song.

Again, most of the above tracks have been backed off quite a bit and really aren't a problem. I'll keep thinking though...
Mike Marcotte

SirScratchAlot

#6 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed May 21, 2003 2:19 am

GemZombie wrote:
Roy wrote:What are the most overplayed songs you have heard within the past few months?

Ya, and the local groovers are making me play it. Argh, I'm going to destroy my copy of it.
Rule #1: if you don't have it, you can't play it....

I get people asking me to play the song from Hellzapoppin, oops...I left it at Home...sorry :lol:
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

djstarr

#7 Post by djstarr » Wed May 21, 2003 5:28 pm

What I've heard quite a bit lately is Sent for You Yesterday -- at least there are a lot of different versions of this song.

We used to play Eva Cassidy's Wade in the Water a lot, but I don't hear it anymore; I'm also starting to play a piano version by Charlie Haden that most people don't quite recognize as being related..... it's like waking up from a pleasant dream :D

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Thu May 22, 2003 12:48 am

We are part of a pretty awesome scene when these are the songs the people complain about being overplayed. I love DJing, listening to and dancing to pretty much all of the songs that have been listed so far. There is most definitely a reason these songs get played so often - they kick ass! Keep more of my favorites coming! :)

Jesse

Platypus

#9 Post by Platypus » Thu May 22, 2003 6:14 am

Or as I have heard on other threads, what is overplayed in your area might be rarely played in mine. I have definately picked up some good stuff by cruising these threads on different sites. :D

Nate Dogg

#10 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu May 22, 2003 9:16 am

As a DJ, I get tired of overplayed songs. It always a lot of fun to play the stuff that is newer to my collection.

But, there are worse things than playing a few every set. A lot of dancers really appreciate those overplayed songs.

Usually, people will request certain songs and that fills the overplayed quota (which is currently no more than 1 or 2 overplayed songs an hour).

Or, I might play one after a more experimental track. As sick as people might be of Lavender Coffin in our scene, it will still fill the floor.

mousethief

#11 Post by mousethief » Thu May 22, 2003 9:33 am

no good song is ever overplayed. it is simply a poor selection at that time. bad songs and personal favorites are overplayed or just played out.

when i panicked at the philly exchange - i think i was watching some girl's butt - and didn't have a song cued up, i played "i love being here with you" by miss ernestine anderson. i was actually thanked by a number of people for the selection.

kalman

Ron

#12 Post by Ron » Thu May 22, 2003 4:57 pm

Kalman-
I'm wondering, do you have a problem with listing your name and location so it can show up on the left?
-Ron

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Thu May 22, 2003 5:58 pm

GemZombie wrote:
Roy wrote:For exchanges I think Wade in the Water/Eva Cassidy is the most overplayed song. I hear it a few times at every exchange I have been to in the past year.
Ya, and the local groovers are making me play it.
That was called for.... :roll:

The only time in the past year I have heard "Wade" at an Exchange was at the Dallas Exchange, but only as a goof because a huge West Coast Swing convention/competition was going on in the same hotel. Jerry (the DJ) stopped the song short, and announced, "Oops, sorry, wrong room." Even us "Groovers" in the room cheered when he cut the song short.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Fri May 23, 2003 7:25 am

Ron wrote:Kalman-
I'm wondering, do you have a problem with listing your name and location so it can show up on the left?
-Ron
jesse just slapped my wrist on it. i'll fix it.

kalman

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri May 23, 2003 9:57 am

Lawrence wrote: The only time in the past year I have heard "Wade" at an Exchange was at the Dallas Exchange, but only as a goof because a huge West Coast Swing convention/competition was going on in the same hotel. Jerry (the DJ) stopped the song short, and announced, "Oops, sorry, wrong room." Even us "Groovers" in the room cheered when he cut the song short.
I heard it last night at the LindyGroove. It was played right after "Jumpin' At The Woodside" which has sadly become the overplayed token fast song.

::sigh::
Reuben Brown
Southern California