Dave Bennett's "Salute to Benny Goodman" OOP CD

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Dave Bennett's "Salute to Benny Goodman" OOP CD

#1 Post by Eyeball » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:57 pm

http://www.pkorecords.com/cds/goodman/goodman.htm

This has some promise for folks in the mid-west. The CD is out of print (maybe due to all the typos in the liner notes - including the names of the leader and vocalist) and thye on-line samples included only small group performances.

He might be good for he swing dance scene.

Anyone know him?

Dave Bennett's "Salute to Benny Goodman"

Twenty year old Michigan clarinetist Dave Bennett is an authentic musical prodigy who brings to life the classic sound and music of BENNY GOODMAN with incredible technique, style, beauty of tone and naturalness.

Windsor Star music writer Ted Shaw called (then 19 year old) Bennett "a teenage sensation...a jaw dropping phenom on the clarinet...the Michigan native's mellifluous playing and gorgeous tone are inspired by Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman".

Grand Rapids Press reviewer Jeffrey Kaczmarczyk headed his review "Jazz band's 17-year-old clarinetist sizzles in Grand Rapids Symphony show".

Dave Bennett, of Waterford Michigan, began on clarinet at age 10 and taught himself how to play Goodman songs by ear, listening to records given to him by his grandfather. At age 12 Dave was invited to the bandstand of the famous Sweet Basil jazz club in New York to sit in with trumpet legend Doc Cheatham. By age 14 Dave started touring all over America, twenty or thirty times a year, as a member of Saginaw's popular "New Reformation Dixieland Band." All the while he practiced six hours a day and kept studying the music of his greatest hero: Benny Goodman. A tape of his playing sent to Pete Fountain resulted in an un-prompted telephone call to Dave by Pete, encouraging this remarkable young talent that he was "on the right track".

At age 17 Bennett was selected as one of two high school students from a field of 600, to have the opportunity to perform as a Special Guest Soloist with The Count Basie Orchestra.

In November 2003, Dave Bennett premiered his new "Tribute to Benny Goodman" Septet at Windsor's Capitol Theatre. Bennett said at the concert, "I've been waiting nine years for this opportunity...and it is a dream that has finally come true." Bennett's combo includes the leading American bassist Paul Keller as Music Director (Keller was Diana Krall's bassist 1995 through '97, touring the world and recording her first Grammy nominated CD "A Tribute to Nat King Cole"). Keller and Bennett have created written and "head" arrangements of many Goodman "hits" and "swing jazz classics":
Moonglow, I've Got Rhythm, Body and Soul, Slipped Disc, Sing Sing Sing, Airmail Special, Breakfast Feud, What Can I Say After I've Said I'm Sorry? and many others. Bennett's mature stage presence, knowledge of the dates and details of Goodman recordings, and his penchant for wire-rim glasses, spats and double-breasted suits, will transport listeners back to the time and mood of Benny Goodman's "swing era".

Bringing to life the "hot" vibraphone style of Goodman Quartet member Lionel Hampton is Ann Arbor's Cary Kocher. Pete Siers is on drums; Bill Meyer on piano, and producer Hugh Leal is on acoustic guitar. No tribute to Goodman would be complete without a vocalist to interpret the many hits associated with Benny's great singers of his big bands and recording dates: Peggy Lee, Helen Ward, Martha Tilton, Ella Fitzgerald and others. Dave Bennett's "Tribute to Benny Goodman" introduces the striking, vivacious and swinging newcomer, 20 year old Wisconsin vocalist Chelsea Krombach singing Why Don't You Do Right?, These Foolish Things, Stomping at the Savoy and others.

The November 2003 Capitol Theatre concert resulted in this CD "DAVE BENNETT'S SALUTE TO BENNY GOODMAN - LIVE at the CAPITOL THEATRE", PKO Records #029...the premiere recording under his own name.

TUNE DESCRIPTIONS

AIR MAIL SPECIAL (5:45)- a high powered riff-like composition by Goodman and Charlie Christian, famous from their 1940 recording

BODY AND SOUL (4:22)- the classic ballad played by clarinet, piano and drums as on the original 1935 recording with Goodman, Gene Krupa and Teddy Wilson

I GOT RHYTHM (6:10)- Gershwin's classic, played by the quartet, emulating the 1945 recording

BREAKFAST FEUD (4:31)- another up tempo Goodman "riff type" line on the head, with a blues "blowing" chorus featuring the full septet, original from 1940.

MOONGLOW (5:27)- the classic ballad, on which Lionel Hampton was first heard in the Benny Goodman Quartet in 1936 - this version with the septet.

STOMPIN AT THE SAVOY (3:25)- a medium groove Goodman, Edgar Sampson classic, originally only recorded as instrumental (1936) , this version featuring Chelsea Krombach singing the Andy Razaf lyrics

WHY DON'T YOU DO RIGHT? (3:52)- the minor key sultry and moody hit for Benny with Peggy Lee from 1942....here sung by Chelsea

THESE FOOLISH THINGS (4:36)- the classic ballad done by Benny's singer Helen Ward in 1936, here sung by Chelsea

WHAT CAN I SAY AFTER I'VE SAID I'M SORRY? (4:42)- recorded by Benny in 1954, a relaxed medium groove with the septet

SING SING SING (6:41)- the classic Goodman smash, most famous for the 1938 Carnegie Hall recording with Gene Krupa's drum solo, here featuring the sextet and Pete Siers on drums

GOODBYE (2:33) - Benny's haunting "sign off" lullaby by Gordon Jenkins (from 1935)

GOODY GOODY (3:20)- a vocal with Helen Ward in 1936, this version has some shared vocal fun with Dave joining in for vocals with Chelsea

CMU Matt

#2 Post by CMU Matt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Dave Bennet is a really cool, friendly dude. He has played several events and nights in the Detroit area, is quite an accomplished musician, and seems to really enjoy playing for dancers. He also plays with the Hot Club of Detroit. I highly recommend him and his work. I believe HCOD recently released a CD, also. Here is their myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/hotclubofdetroit

Dave at Virgo club in Warren, MI