Ray Sings, Basie Swings

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

PhilShapiro

Ray Sings, Basie Swings

#1 Post by PhilShapiro » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:20 pm

Anyone heard this one yet? It's an interesting idea, at least. The samples sound good to me but I don't know if there's anything I'd DJ off of it.

If you haven't heard of it, this CD is a mix where they combined an old recording Ray Charles made with new recording by the current Basie ghost band.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... ogtq4zcu45

And here's video from the electronic press kit for the record. Mostly fluff but somewhat interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf0Qqr85CgE

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:46 pm

I actually picked this up last night. It's not too bad, although there's really only one spinable song for a swing dance. If you ever DJ for blues dances/dancers, there's a lot of stuff on it. Of course, that's assuming you're okay with the idea behind it. Some people might be against that.

Lawrence

#3 Post by Lawrence » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:26 pm

Matt wrote:I actually picked this up last night. It's not too bad, although there's really only one spinable song for a swing dance. If you ever DJ for blues dances/dancers, there's a lot of stuff on it. Of course, that's assuming you're okay with the idea behind it. Some people might be against that.
That was my impression when I saw the CD at Starbucks and simply reviewed the song titles. Seems to be 60s pop Big Band when Big Bands were trying to be soulish/rocky, not swinging.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:41 pm

When I was in NYC a couple of weeks ago, Dawn Hampton was telling me how awesome this album was. I was surprised since I'd only heard a fairly negative response up until that point.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:59 pm

I have been thoroughly enjoying the album. Very cool concept! Spuds and I discussed it on the most recent episode of Hey Mister Jesse.

Jesse

jmatthew

#6 Post by jmatthew » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 pm

I like it, but I'm in the "one song I'd dj at a swing dance" camp. But curious about anyone else's take on the rest of the album for swing? there's a lot I'll play for blues.
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:53 pm

Matt wrote:
It's not too bad, although there's really only one spinable song for a swing dance.
jmatthew wrote:
I like it, but I'm in the "one song I'd dj at a swing dance" camp.
you're both such teases. :o) what's the one song?