Ultimate Lindy Hop Showdown

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

alainw

Ultimate Lindy Hop Showdown

#1 Post by alainw » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:59 pm

Hiya,

Just wanted to congratulate the DJs at Showdown for an awesome event. The music was definitely top-notch!

I might've been too busy dancing to recognize everyone's DJing, but I remember being particularly impressed by Reuben, Tonya and Ryan. Setlists anybody?

And boy, the Diversity contest music had its moments!

Alain

trev

#2 Post by trev » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:32 am

Yes, agreed! The music was consistently top-notch all weekend! Well done to all.

julius

#3 Post by julius » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 pm

I think the only other DJ was Giselle. Well, Peter Strom DJed the soul/R&B thing at Sunday late night of course.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Chance DJed a short set at the very beginning of the weekend as well, but most of the DJing was primarily Swifty and I.

I'll have to see how organized my files are before I post anything.

Best thing about The Varisty is the awesome sound system they have there. Balcony sized sound booth (with a door,) plenty of power, fully computerized lighting, the works. I was in love when I played an old recording and it sounded bright, crisp, and clear... yet with a distict sound as if it were being played straight off an original 78 on a high end turntable.

...that and the ability to turn the place into a Hollywood night club for Diversity. :twisted:
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:51 pm

I'm just sorry I didn't have my laptop with me when you were looking for someone to DJ. It would have been nice to sit in that booth ;)

Good job on the music... it was no surprise to me how good the music would be though.

Swifty

#6 Post by Swifty » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:28 am

I wound up spinning for something around 6 hours that weekend, I closed down all three nights. Posting set lists here would be ridiculous, but PM me if you want details -- I am pretty sure I have setlists broken down by day on my laptop at home. I'm glad folks had a good time. I was personally blown away by the live music, as usual.

PS: It was great getting to meet other SwingDJs members for the first time this past month.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Swifty wrote:I wound up spinning for something around 6 hours that weekend, I closed down all three nights. Posting set lists here would be ridiculous, but PM me if you want details -- I am pretty sure I have setlists broken down by day on my laptop at home. I'm glad folks had a good time. I was personally blown away by the live music, as usual.

PS: It was great getting to meet other SwingDJs members for the first time this past month.
I was dancing with kitkat at one point and she noted that it had to be you DJing, she knew your style (and seemed to like it of course).

Just thought that was neat.

Mr Awesomer

#8 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:34 pm

I could always tell when it was Swifty DJing as well...

...it was whenever I wasn't.

hahahahaha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Swifty

#9 Post by Swifty » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:56 pm

hahahaha!
GemZombie wrote:I was dancing with kitkat at one point and she noted that it had to be you DJing, she knew your style (and seemed to like it of course).

Just thought that was neat.
Interesting. Maybe this belongs in the "Finding Your Voice as DJ" thread, but I'd actually love to hear how one describes my personal style. I'm feeling a little bit stagnant lately and am trying to figure out how to mix it up a little more, but I'm having trouble quantifying it myself.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

julius

#10 Post by julius » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Here is a quick synopsis of kitkat's analytical thought process:

Is the music scratchy and old? It's Reuben.
Is the person I'm dancing with scratchy and old? It's Swifty.