Remastered Duke Ellington

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

#31 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:50 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:I got the CD from my Dad since the producers sent him one. :)
Name-dropper!

CafeSavoy

#32 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:43 pm

Does anyone have this set?

Duke Ellington, Reprise Studio Recordings

Mike

#33 Post by Mike » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:50 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Does anyone have this set?
Yup, I just got that a couple of months ago. I decided to finally get it after losing both of my copies of Recollections of the Big Band Era. The remainder of this set is at least interesting to hear, with a few good tracks for dancing. I'll have to relisten for specifics. You would think the Mary Poppins album would be cheesy as hell, but it's actually fun to listen to... you can tell that the band is at least having fun with it rather than grumbling that they have to wade through lame Disney tunes. The question of whether this set is good for buying or not is already behind me... If you don't have Recollections, or have lots of money to spend, it might be worth it.

Lawrence

#34 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:23 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Does anyone have this set?

Duke Ellington, Reprise Studio Recordings

Yes, I have it, too. (I'm a huge fan of Mosaic sets: really well-done and they really fit a niche.) The set contains some real gems that I otherwise would not have found, such as "Non-Violent Integration" from the album "Symphonic Ellinton" (I NEVER would have bought the "Symphonic Ellington" CD, alone.) It also contains that version of "One O'Clock Jump" with the riff that became "Wailing Interval," about which Greg asked a few months ago.

But it also contains the entire "Mary Poppins" album (obvious novelty), and, except for "Nonviolent Integration," the Symphonic Ellington album is all Jazz Suites, which are not my thing. So, I'm not sure I would recemmend it as highly as the Ellington Complete Capitol Recordings Mosaic set. It also does NOT contain any of the Sinatra-Ellington material released on Reprise.

I would recommend getting the re-released "Recollections" with the bonus material, (the bonus material unique to the re-release includes the One Oclock Jump version with the "Wailing Interval" riff) instead of the full Reprise Mosaic set.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#35 Post by falty411 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:15 am

does anyone have this set and/or heard the quality of the recordings on it?

its a german import

-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swifty

#36 Post by Swifty » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:21 am

I'm pretty sure that Mike has it, but he's on vacation for a week & I doubt he's checking the board while he's away.

PS: You look like one of the Village People in your avitar.

falty411

#37 Post by falty411 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:33 am

Swifty wrote:I'm pretty sure that Mike has it, but he's on vacation for a week & I doubt he's checking the board while he's away.

PS: You look like one of the Village People in your avitar.
at least im not wearing a turtleneck
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swifty

#38 Post by Swifty » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:12 pm

Zot

#39 Post by Zot » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:59 pm

heh heh

falty411

#40 Post by falty411 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:25 pm

young man

theres a place you should go

i said young man.......

cant

stop

singing

.....its in my blood

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*head explodes*

*feathers everywhere*
-mikey faltesek

djstarr

#41 Post by djstarr » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:23 pm

falty411 wrote:young man

theres a place you should go

i said young man.......

cant

stop

singing

.....its in my blood

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*head explodes*

*feathers everywhere*
so your mad dog profile is true then? Y M C A.................

can't wait to meet you in Seattle.....

SirScratchAlot

#42 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:44 am

Swifty wrote:Image
ouch....

thats why abortion should be legal.....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Mike

#43 Post by Mike » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:55 am

falty411 wrote:does anyone have this set and/or heard the quality of the recordings on it?

its a german import

Yeah I got that a few months ago. While this set is virtually complete up to about 1945, the sound quality is definitely less than stellar. I already have the Complete RCA set, so I pretty much got this to fill in the gaps. Not sure whether doing a quality check between the two is even worth it, since I could immediately tell the average quality wasn't the greatest. If you want to be complete for dirt cheap though, this is the set to get. I think I paid $60 for mine on Ebay.

falty411

#44 Post by falty411 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:27 am

thanks mike
-mikey faltesek

Lawrence

#45 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:05 pm

Back to the orginal thread, for those who are interested, I received a copy of the Dreyfus remasters and A-B compared them to the Centennial Edition & Blanton-Webster releases.

The Dreyfus remasters are definitely "cleaner" and FAR less distorted with pops and "ffpts" noises. I hadn't really noticed it, before, but on the Centennial Edition/Blanton Webster recordings, the higher tones are almost all distorted with scratchy, distortion "clips". The Dreyfus is near-perfect in terms of distortion. But the Dreyfus editions do not have the enhanced frequency range/depth of the Centennial Edition.

In other words, the Dreyfus remaster sounds FAR more clean and accurate, but flatter than the Centennial Edition.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com