Ted Heath - "Swing Is King" Volume One

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Ted Heath - "Swing Is King" Volume One

#1 Post by Eyeball » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:21 pm

This was a first rate recreation, more or less, of some big Swing era hits. They didn't try and do them exactly like the originals, but the Ted Heath band had a big following in the UK and in the USA, so they had to do it right.

There was a volume 2, but it didn't have the snap that this one did.

The stereo was top of the line - Phase 4 Stereo was a big audiophile favorite in Pop and Classical. It was far less gimmicky than Command stereo was and with far less echo and 'effects'.

This one came out about 1969 and it made people feel good about big band Swing again.

I hope it is out on CD for the times that you may need good Swing in stereo and hi-fi.

I think I have it on reel to reel tape , as well as LP and even a sealed cassette copy.

Jerry_Jelinek

#2 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:49 pm

Ted Heath was a great band leader. A lot of his 1950s through 1960s releases are available on CD at:

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

In glancing at the web site, I didn't see the LP you have. That is a great recording.

russell

#3 Post by russell » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I managed to pick up a Verve CD of the two LPs from the Amazon UK site. Looks like it is long out of print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... 6&v=glance

Look forward to hearing it.

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Ted heath was bigtime in the UK and over here, too...one ofthe few British swing/dance bands to crack the US in ages.

SIKing is not a 'perfect' LP...and number one just really seemed to have the edge over number 2, but they were both f=good and the sound was great, the ensemble work top nothc and the solos typically 'British'.

It's goood solid listening for when true authenticity is not priority one.

The audio department used to use SIKing to demo stereo components.

Do the CDs have any extra tunes on them?

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:36 am

FWIW - I saw my first footage ever of Ted Heath last night.

PBS was running an old Nat King Cole show from the early 60s and Ted heath came on b/c NKC had been touring the UK with his band. I had never even seen a photo of him before. Middle aged gent with a mustache....very pleasant and British. Kind of short and balding. He spoke for a minute or two and gave NKC a gold record for some record they had made and sold to assist in the fight against world hunger or something.
Will big bands ever come back?

russell

#6 Post by russell » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:22 pm

The CD arrived yesterday and I have been listening to it at work today.
Great energy and sound. Some good versions on there. Some of the arrangements I don't like - esp the Charlie Barnet songs. I liked Opus 1 and Don't Get Around Much Anymore.
The CD has two less tracks than the LPs - it doesn't have "Contrasts" and "Long John Silver" - left out for technical reasons??
The original LPs were put out by Decca and the CD has been put out by Decca so I assume it is from the original masters. There is no mention of any remastering.
I have only listened to it thus far on headphones. I will have to crank up my home system and have a listen.

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:17 pm

Wow....they dumped the 2 Jimmy Dorsey covers. Coincidence?

Decca in the UK controlled those masters, so you likely have true generation stuff.

Those LPs are really good for cranking up the volume. Background noise should be non-existent.