Wedding Songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djStu

Wedding Songs

#1 Post by djStu » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:27 pm

So I just recently got engaged, and we really want our 1st dance to be to a swing tune (we've both been dancing for about 6 years), but I really don't have any good songs for this kind of thing.

Anyone out there have ideas for great songs for a Wedding 1st dance.

Some ideas so far:
Jitterbug Waltz - Junior Mance
Someone Exactly Like You - haven't found a version we like
Honeysuckle Rose - haven't found a version we like

Thanks in advance

-Mike

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:49 pm

Honeysuckle Rose is good, a few of my favorites are by Eva Cassidy, Ella and Basie (not the common version, I have it on a CD titled "A Perfect Match"), and a version by Django Reinhart off the Jazz After Hours CDs.

Platypus

#3 Post by Platypus » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:54 pm

I Love Being Here with You - Ernestine Anderson
At least three local couples used this song for their wedding dance.

trev

#4 Post by trev » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:21 pm

On a similar topic, a friend has asked me if there is any song that starts as a waltz and transitions to a swing rhythm that would be suitable for their wedding dance. Know of any?

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 pm

This topic has been discussed here before:

Wedding, First Song for Dancing?

Jesse

Toon Town Dave

#6 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:01 pm

trev, I don't know of anything off the top of my head. There's lots of examples of waltz played by jazz musicians not used to waltz time that should be 3/4 but drifts between 3/4 and 4/4 time. It's not fun to dance to.

Dave Brubeck also did one where there is 3/4 and 4/4 rhythms going on simultaneously, sort of danceable but tricky.

I'd say your best bet would be to choose a good waltz and a swing tune that fits and transition from one to the other.

The other option would be to replace waltz (dancing) with fox-trot which can use all the same patterns, just a little different timing.

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:52 am

How about "MINNIE THE MOOCHER'S WEDDING DAY"?

There are medium tempo vocal versions by Cab Calloway and by the Boswell Sisters. There is a faster instrumental version by Benny Goodman.

If you want more of a 'Lindy Groove - ish" tune, someone on the other thread mention MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME. There is a GREAT vocal version that features both Nat King Cole and Woody Herman singing solo and dueting on the same disc. Super recording from the late forties or early 50s.

Manu

#8 Post by Manu » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:50 am

"Let's fall in Love" by Ella Fitzgerald

Kaastel

#9 Post by Kaastel » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:27 am

trev wrote:On a similar topic, a friend has asked me if there is any song that starts as a waltz and transitions to a swing rhythm that would be suitable for their wedding dance. Know of any?
I would recommend finding instead something you can foxtrot to and then use twinkle-timing to make it look waltzy. Then you can interchange with Lindy (I find many foxtrots Lindy-able, but that may because it's so much cooler to be doing Lindy when everyone else is doing foxtrot :)). I would recommend keeping it between 100-130 bpm. Faster is possible, but might challenge your waltz skills (depending on how you usually dance waltz!). You might need to be careful to not choose something that's too swingin', or else people will wonder why you're doing foxtrot instead of swing. :) Some I can find easily in my collection:

Fever (pick a version you like :))
Beyond the Sea (again, pick a version)
Cheek to Cheek (Tommy Dorsey)