Swingmatism: new CD by the Solomon Douglas Swingtet!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Solomon

Swingmatism: new CD by the Solomon Douglas Swingtet!

#1 Post by Solomon » Mon May 29, 2006 11:09 pm

Hey there -

I have exciting news to announce! My ten-piece orchestra, the Solomon Douglas Swingtet, has just finished two days of hard work in the recording studio, and we will soon be coming out with our début CD, tentatively titled Swingmatism.

The album will include songs that were orginally done by the orchestras of Basie, Ellington, Jimmie Lunceford, Dizzy Gillespie, Jay McShann, Sonny Rollins, Oliver Nelson, and Charlie Parker, plus many of my original arrangements of familiar jazz standards. The entire CD is danceable, from the slowest, grooviest blues tempo right on up to the burningest up-tempo swing song. The styles of music, all of them swinging, range from mid-1930s classic Swing, through mid-1950s New-Testament Basie, to the swinging 1960s music of Oliver Nelson and Sonny Rollins.

It also includes our exciting version of the Big Apple song that was used in the movie Keep Punching (1939). This is a historic event, because, to the best of my knowledge, this song has never before appeared on CD.

The CD is slated for release in August. You can guarantee that you'll be among the first to hear it if you pre-order your copy today!

For ordering information, please click here.

The cost is USD$15 plus USD$5.91 for shipping and handling (anywhere in the world).

See you soon!

Solomon

Solomon

#2 Post by Solomon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:45 pm

After numerous delays, I am very happy to announce that my new CD Swingmatism is finally in the hands of the replication company that I've hired to do the manufacturing and printing. This means that, barring any more unforeseen delays, I'm looking at a release date in mid-November.

I joined the Glenn Miller Orchestra one month ago, and, boy, a full-time job sure makes it hard to get anything else done! I'm glad and excited to finally have this all taken care of. To everyone who has already placed an order, I want to say a big thank you, and apologize for the time that this process has taken. Your financial support has been instrumental in helping me with all aspects of production.

And to anyone else who has been thinking of ordering a copy but hasn't yet done so — there's still time for you get your order in and be one of the first people to get the CD in their hands! Check out http://solomondouglas.com/buy_CD.html for all the ordering information.

Thanks everybody!

Solomon

“A very good album! Very danceable, mixed tempos, and a variety of songs. I like it. I'm not just saying that, either. The band plays together very, very well.” —Frankie Manning

“Good band. They play for dancers. That’s important.” —Dawn Hampton

Swingmatism highlights Solomon’s expansive knowledge and passion as dancer, musician and arranger. I will be spinning this CD often!” —Jesse Miner

“Very impressive, very professional and tight. I am blown away by the work and by the musicians picked. It is nice to have a swing CD made by a dancer.” —Virginie

“This CD hits the mark for dancers. Swings hard, and hits you in the gut, especially when Solomon is on the keyboard. Get it, listen to it, dance to it!!” —Bill Borgida

“Really fantastic. Vastly superior to 99% of big band stuff produced in the last 20 or 30 years. Good to dance to and great to listen to.” —David Mortensen

“Great tunes, great musicians, great arrangements—a very stimulating and enjoyable listening experience, and swinging!” —Larry O’Brien, musical director of the Glenn Miller Orchestra

“I’ve danced to Junior Mance, Ray Bryant, Clark Terry, Barbara Morrison and more, and Solomon’s swingin’ group ranks right up there with the best of them for dancers.” —David Jacoby

“Not every day you find a band that can play traditional as well as modern jazz. The Solomon Douglas Swingtet has all those ingredients. And all I can say is that they are really solid.” —Chester Whitmore

“This band is one of the best Swing bands in the country right now. We are so lucky to have someone who is truly recreating the side of jazz that makes us want to swing out within the true essence of Lindy Hop.” —Tonya Morris

“One of the best new recordings I’ve heard in a while... I love dancing to these guys, they have an authentic style and great energy” —Nina Gilkenson

Solomon

#3 Post by Solomon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:07 am

I'm pleased to announce that Swingmatism was officially released on Wednesday, November 15th. As always, you can go to http://solomondouglas.com/buy_CD.html to listen to all the tracks and order your copy!

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:32 pm

i got it in the mail yesterday. i felt like a total bad-ass entering the track data into cddb. :o)

if you haven't yet, go buy this now. it's worth it for the "keep punching" big apple track alone. great job, solomon!