Box sets we want to see

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#16 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Eyeball wrote:Good ol' Alastair Robertson. I knew him casually 'back in the day'. Nice guy.

I don't see a description of what is on the Powell and the Clintons. They were both Bluebird/Victor artists. Are the sides from those sessions or from transcription services like Associated or Muzak or even Thesaurus?

How would you describe the Teddy Powell band?
I think his label is one of the best and I'm not sure why people don't talk about it more...it may be some of the distribution issues...anyone who sets up Slim Gaillards last studio recording is pretty cool in my book...

Here you go, in order of what's best...

http://www.amazon.com/Shades-Hades-Larr ... 125&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Studies-Clinton-L ... 125&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Like-Drea ... 125&sr=1-3

Powell, is ok, but I think kind of overrated...I'm much more partial to Clinton...Bea Wain is one of my favorite big band female vocalists...

Eyeball

#17 Post by Eyeball » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Those look like Victor and Bluebird sides to me.

I think here in the US, there were 2 Clinton re-issues over the years - one on RCA CAMDEN called "Dance Date" or something that had quite a few of the studies and then in the 70s or somewhere a 2 LP set called "This is Larry Clinton" which also had some of his re-recordings of his stuff that he did in the 50s in Hi-Fi.

You can tell by the declining quality of the song titles he was recording that his influence/popularity began to fade in the 40s. But in the late 30s, he was way up there.

*Everybody loves the introduction to "MARTHA"! And it's a great track.

Ya know - Bea Wain is still alive and actually can still sing? She had a recent story where she met Pavorotti at a party and told him she had done a Swing version of Martha 60 years earlier and he asked her to sing it, so she does and he's digging it and playing air trombone! Hahaha! I will try and find the interview, It was on NPR somewhere.

Yeah - HEP has always had good stuff. Very honest and nice dude who really cares about Jazz, not just a dollar digger.
Last edited by Eyeball on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will big bands ever come back?

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#18 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Have the CDs at home so I couldn't check that, I don't even pay much attention to U.S. reissues anymore because they usually disappoint, those 3 CDs span mostly the 30's so I highly recommend them. I knew about Bea being still alive but thanks for that interview link, BTW what do you mean by Robertson being a 'dollar digger'?

Eyeball

#19 Post by Eyeball » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:32 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:BTW what do you mean by Robertson being a 'dollar digger'?
Fixed.

That was a typo. I typed the word "just" twice. I mean to type "not just".
Will big bands ever come back?