mosaic sets

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

#166 Post by trev » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Nice!

Being almost as geographically antipodal to Conneticut as possible, I anticipate I'll have to wait a bit longer :)

Enjoy the Fletch!

trev

#167 Post by trev » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:28 pm

A great review on Organissimo:
Every time I listen to Fletcher Henderson charts, it amazes me that these guys played all these charts all night long. That's a lot of playing for just one chart, never mind all night, all week!

And Hawk...Jesus, I'm just finishing Disc Three, and LORD have mercy, so much tenor, so much music...and it's only 1933...35 more years of playing lie ahead, and when you hear the stories of how when the work really slowed down he chose to more or less drink/starve himself to death...it makes sense. Not to be too dramatic about it, but guys like this were true warriors. No battles to fight, no life to live.

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chornologially all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

lipi

#168 Post by lipi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 pm

That's a great review. :o) Thanks for pointing it out, trev!

dogpossum

#169 Post by dogpossum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm

trev wrote:A great review on Organissimo:
Every time I listen to Fletcher Henderson charts, it amazes me that these guys played all these charts all night long. That's a lot of playing for just one chart, never mind all night, all week!

And Hawk...Jesus, I'm just finishing Disc Three, and LORD have mercy, so much tenor, so much music...and it's only 1933...35 more years of playing lie ahead, and when you hear the stories of how when the work really slowed down he chose to more or less drink/starve himself to death...it makes sense. Not to be too dramatic about it, but guys like this were true warriors. No battles to fight, no life to live.

The duets with Buck Washington are whotally new to me...holy shit, so much tenor. Just so much tenor. And then there's the five-year gap where Hawk takes a boat away from home and then finally takes another one home and then BAM there you are in 1939, and there's all these new harmonic ideas (ideas, not "way of playing") showing up and it's like, whoa, Hawk is in the process of Beating Music At Its Own Game. I've hear a lot of this stuff in bits and pieces over the years, but to follow it chornologially all at once like this set allows is a serious mindfuck.

Holy shit! That's my review. Holy shit!

That's actually a pretty dramatic review. Lots of WARRIOR MAN talk. I lol and lol. And go out to check the mailbox for mine every. single. day. #WANT

dogpossum

#170 Post by dogpossum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Mine arrived today! There was (literally) some jumping up and down with excitement.

dogpossum

#171 Post by dogpossum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 pm

...now I understand all the crazed review talk. Shit is hot, yo.

anton

#172 Post by anton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 pm

I've been thru the whole set twice now, wow. The highpoint for me was the late 1933 Allen-Hawkins-Hendersson(Horace) stuff in ace sound quality.

anton

#173 Post by anton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Bummer that Esquire Bounce was not included. (No, I don't own The Complete Commodore Recordings... :cry: )

dogpossum

#174 Post by dogpossum » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 pm

anton wrote:I've been thru the whole set twice now, wow. The highpoint for me was the late 1933 Allen-Hawkins-Hendersson(Horace) stuff in ace sound quality.
Oh yes! There's a block of stuff from that year that's amazing!

I'm also really loving the little block of 1946 Metronome all star stuff with Sinatra, Nat King Cole and June Christy - it's gorgeously chillaxed and the vocals are really really nice (the Mosaic Christy/Peggy Lee set is amazeballs too).

Really, the best part of this set is that it goes from (lots of) seriously scratchy hot shit, through that chillaxed swing sound to more 'modern' small groups. I do like these Mosaic sets that follow a musician through several bands (like the Chu Berry one).

lipi

#175 Post by lipi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:59 pm

anton wrote:I've been thru the whole set twice now, wow. The highpoint for me was the late 1933 Allen-Hawkins-Hendersson(Horace) stuff in ace sound quality.
FWIW, that session is available on the Coleman Hawkins JSP set ("Essential Sides Remstared"). Sound is excellent. I'll end up getting the Mosaic, too, eventually, but the JSP is a nice cheaper alternative.

There's also a group of sessions from 1957 and 1958 with Hawkins and Allen in a smaller setting. Also very good, though quite different in feel from the '33 recordings.

anton

#176 Post by anton » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:21 am

lipi wrote: FWIW, that session is available on the Coleman Hawkins JSP set ("Essential Sides Remstared"). Sound is excellent. I'll end up getting the Mosaic, too, eventually, but the JSP is a nice cheaper alternative.
The JSP set is indeed very nice, but I would call it a complement rather than an alternative to the Mosaic set. The JSP has 104 tracks from 1929 to 1939, while the Mosaic has 190 tracks from 1922 to 1947 - the overlap being only 31 tracks if I counted correctly. The JSP includes tracks with the Little Chocolate Dandies, Jack Purvies, Spike Hughes, and all the European combos. The Mosaic has tons of Fletcher (and Horace) Henderson from 1923 to 1934 and later (post-Europe) recordings with Lionel Hampton, Benny Carter, the Metronome All Stars, Count Basie, Cozy Cole, Leonard Feathers, etc., etc.

So, the conclusion is that you must have both! :D

lipi

#177 Post by lipi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm

anton wrote: So, the conclusion is that you must have both! :D
It always is, isn't it?

Eyeball

#178 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:07 pm

lipi wrote:
anton wrote: So, the conclusion is that you must have both! :D
It always is, isn't it?
That is why so many record collectors drive ancient cars and have lawn furniture in their living rooms. :}
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#179 Post by Haydn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Managed to save up a bit of money - so just ordered the Coleman Hawkins set :)

CountBasi

#180 Post by CountBasi » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Been listening to the first two discs all day in work. Love the clarity.. Clarinet Marmalade and The Stampede sound better than any version I already have.

Enjoy!
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard