mosaic sets

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

#91 Post by trev » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Unfortunately they (and other jazz reissue labels) have several factors working against them:
- rise of digital distribution = more competition
- more open European copyright laws = cheaper alternatives
- digital piracy
- old jazz collectors dying off
- recession

lipi

#92 Post by lipi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 pm

they also suffered a screw-up last year where the company they contract to press CDs destroyed some of their glass masters before the run was out. i don't know if it's standard or not, but their contract didn't hold them liable, so mosaic was out of luck, and several sets went out of print immediately, quite possibly before recouping their cost.

in more positive news, i got two sets recently:

the bix/tram/teagarden: it's excellent. it's also in the "running low" category right now, so if you want it, you may want to jump.

the bing crosby: it's great for listening. there are a few tracks i'll play at dances, but from a dj'ing perspective, i don't think it's worth it. the liner notes were quite interesting, i found. (bing had a lot of influence on pop music--both its sound and the way it was recorded and distributed. he was responsible for the switch from live to pre-recorded radio shows, for instance, and he made magnetic tape popular in the u.s. as an audio recording medium.)

anton

#93 Post by anton » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 am

There are more Mosaic box sets coming out!! This one looks especially interesting (from the Mosaic web site)
The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia, and Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra (11 CDs)
(Release Date: November 2010)

After achieving youthful acclaim in Washington, and making a successful move to New York fronting (at first) small groups, Duke Ellington entered the 1930s with an expanded line-up and an increasingly creative approach to composing. Weekly radio broadcasts and swank guests in the audience spread the word; Hollywood noticed his marquee smile and musical brilliance; and the orchestra began touring extensively, including trips to Europe. His fame and popularity were on the rise.

But more importantly, Ellington entered the '30s having perfected his method of using the group to experiment with arranging and orchestrating. Ensconced at the Cotton Club in New York at the end of the previous decade, Ellington catered to a lot of musical interests and needs – he played for the dancers, and for the jazz lovers. He relied on ideas from his musicians, and wrote for them as individuals rather than as anonymous section players. With all that work and a line-up of marvelous, distinctive musical voices, Ellington began the most creative period of his life.

“Sophisticated Lady.” “Stormy Weather.” “Solitude.” “In a Sentimental Mood.” “Echoes of Harlem.” “Caravan.” All of them and many more are a part of “The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia, and Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra,” an unprecedented 11-CD set that compiles these recordings for the first, and quite possibly the last, time. There would be many more exceptional compositions in the years following, including his highly regarded suites and longer works, but the scope of our latest, lavish Mosaic collection is the period when Ellington would establish himself as the most important composer ever in jazz.

J-h:n

#94 Post by J-h:n » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 am

anton wrote:The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia, and Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra (11 CDs)
(Release Date: November 2010)
Wonderful news! I've heard rumours of this set for a long time, but I'd almost given up hope that it would ever be released.

lipi

#95 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 pm

The 30's Ellington is available for pre-order now.

anton

#96 Post by anton » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:32 pm

lipi wrote:The 30's Ellington is available for pre-order now.
And, ordered! :D

Gong-Oh

#97 Post by Gong-Oh » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:26 am

I have three questions for the "regulars" of Mosaic Records.

1. Is the upcoming 1932-1940 Duke Ellington's box set likely to sell out?

2. If so, how quickly? Within weeks? months? one year?

3. Do liner notes by Mosaic Records and by Bear Family Records compare quality wise? I've been buying several CDs issued by Bear Family lately, mostly for Classic Country, and I got really spoiled by the quality of their liner notes. Even for single CD releases, you get a 40 page booklet, with bio of the artist, photos and all the details and highlights about the recording sessions.

Thank you,
Lorenzo

lipi

#98 Post by lipi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Gong-Oh wrote:I have three questions for the "regulars" of Mosaic Records.
1. Is the upcoming 1932-1940 Duke Ellington's box set likely to sell out?
2. If so, how quickly? Within weeks? months? one year?
3. Do liner notes by Mosaic Records and by Bear Family Records compare quality wise? I've been buying several CDs issued by Bear Family lately, mostly for Classic Country, and I got really spoiled by the quality of their liner notes. Even for single CD releases, you get a 40 page booklet, with bio of the artist, photos and all the details and highlights about the recording sessions.
It'll very likely sell out, even big and expensive as it is, but it will take a while--I would guess more than two years. FWIW, I haven't ordered it yet, but I certainly will this coming year. (I haven't ordered the recent Armstrong, Goodman, or Shaw ones yet, either, for that matter, and I really do want them.)

I'll have to take a look at my Louis Prima Bear to compare--I don't remember what the Bear notes are like. The Mosaic booklets recently have been 15 or so pages, LP sleeve sized, with many large photographs.

The notes themselves vary--there is an essay discussing the artist and the relevance of the recordings, and a section, again in essay form, where the recording sessions and the tracks themselves are discussed. Most tracks get a mention in that second section, though sometimes it's very brief. Then there's a section of a page or two that has all the session info; that section is repeated in the notes in the jewel cases.

Some of the earlier notes, in the OOP sets, were rather disappointing--very short. All the recent ones I've gotten have been nice. (I particularly like the Bing Crosby notes, FWIW.)

For me the notes aren't the draw. I like the mastering, the completeness, and the photographs, more or less in that order.

Gong-Oh

#99 Post by Gong-Oh » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:38 pm

lipi wrote: It'll very likely sell out, even big and expensive as it is, but it will take a while--I would guess more than two years. ...
Cool. I definitely wanna buy it, but most likely in at least 2-3 months from now.
The Mosaic booklets recently have been 15 or so pages, LP sleeve sized, with many large photographs.
The booklets on my two Bear Family box sets (Cliff Bruner and Jimmie Rodgers) are 60 pages LP size each, with essays and many large photographs.
For me the notes aren't the draw. I like the mastering, the completeness, and the photographs, more or less in that order.
For me the notes are one of the elements that make me decide to buy a CD instead of downloading a few mp3 tracks from eMusic or Amazon.

lipi

#100 Post by lipi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Gong-Oh wrote: For me the notes are one of the elements that make me decide to buy a CD instead of downloading a few mp3 tracks from eMusic or Amazon.
Well, FWIW, that's not an option in this case. Mosaic doesn't release its sets as digital downloads.

dogpossum

#101 Post by dogpossum » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Gong-Oh wrote:
I only have the Julia Lee Bear set, and it's very nice. The liner notes rock. I'd say the Mosaic and Bear sets are comparable in terms of liner notes, packaging, etc. I reckon the Mosaic sets come in a slightly more robust box. Which is only important if you're like me and tend to pack your shit up in boxes and move every now and then. In a really nerdy vein, the Mosaic liner notes are on slightly better quality paper (a heavier weight) and the overall type/font and design elements are a little more pleasing (to my eye, anyway).

lipi

#102 Post by lipi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm home now and took a look at the two Bear sets I have (Louis Prima, Nellie Lutcher) and the two latest Mosaics (Bing Crosby, Oscar Peterson) I have.

The Bear booklets are about twice as long number of pages wise, but the print is a lot bigger.

I agree with Sam that the Mosaic layout & paper quality is better. The Bear feels like it's aimed at high school students, while the Mosaic seems aimed at adults. The content seems pretty similar, again with a slightly more educated edge on the Mosaics.

Anyway: they're both great.

Haydn

#103 Post by Haydn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 am

lipi wrote:they're both great.
I like Bear and Mosaic - and the Bear liner notes are bigger.

Gong-Oh

#104 Post by Gong-Oh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 am

Haydn wrote: I like Bear and Mosaic - and the Bear liner notes are bigger.
This makes sense also by looking at the prices: for the same number of CDs Bear Family box sets seem more expensive than Mosaic ones.
lipi wrote: The Bear feels like it's aimed at high school students.
That might be a particular characteristics of your box sets. The style of the essays varies with the authors. I definitely don't have the impression of dealing with high school material when looking at the notes of my Bear sets.

Anyway, the primary goal of my questions was to get an idea on how long it takes fro a Mosaic set to sell out. I definitely want to buy the upcoming 1932-40 Duke Ellington set, as well as I'd loved to buy a copy of some of their sold out material (e.g. the Wingy Manone, Louis Prima set).

Thank you,
Lorenzo

anton

#105 Post by anton » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:46 am

Yay! I got copy #4 out of 5000 of the Duke Ellington 1932-1940 box set!