mosaic sets

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

#16 Post by lipi » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:31 pm

they're having a sale this month: 10% off 12 selected sets including the capitol jazz, bix/trum/tea, prima/manone, venuti/lang, and bunny berigan.

the capitol set is now a measly $172!

CountBasi

#17 Post by CountBasi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Allen wrote:I have the brunswick/ vocalion louis Prima and Wingy Manone and love it. I'm really close to getting the bix/tram/teagarden set. I've almost ordered it twice now.

I did buy the mentioned basie set on uk amazon. I couldn't resist a half priced mosaic set. Now if only I could find other cheap mosaic sets...
I just got the 6 CD set too and, wow. Talk about a pleasant surprise! This is magic, and I haven't even got half way through it yet.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

trev

#18 Post by trev » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:37 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's a Mosaic Lionel Hampton set coming soon:

The Complete Victor Lionel Hampton Sessions (1937-1941)
This five disc set concentrates on the Victor recordings of Lionel Hampton's studio sessions from 1937 to 1941. These all star dates have been revered for years and include a "who's who" of swing stars: Ziggy Elman, Harry James, Cootie Williams, Jess Stacy, Johnny Hodges, Cozy Cole, Jonah Jones, Vido Musso, Benny Carter, Herschel Evans, Chu Berry, Billy Kyle, Jo Jones, Rex Stewart, Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Charlie Christian, Red Allen, JC Higginbotham, Ed Hall, Joe Sullivan, Zutty Singleton, Nat Cole and Sir Charles Thompson. There are over 100 tunes including 10 previously unissued alternates.

anton

#19 Post by anton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:05 pm

trev wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's a Mosaic Lionel Hampton set coming soon:

Drooooooool.... it's nice that Mosaic keeps the old stuff coming!

CafeSavoy

#20 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:50 pm

trev wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's a Mosaic Lionel Hampton set coming soon:

This five disc set concentrates on the Victor recordings of Lionel Hampton's studio sessions from 1937 to 1941. These all star dates have been revered for years and include a "who's who" of swing stars: Ziggy Elman, Harry James, Cootie Williams, Jess Stacy, Johnny Hodges, Cozy Cole, Jonah Jones, Vido Musso, Benny Carter, Herschel Evans, Chu Berry, Billy Kyle, Jo Jones, Rex Stewart, Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Charlie Christian, Red Allen, JC Higginbotham, Ed Hall, Joe Sullivan, Zutty Singleton, Nat Cole and Sir Charles Thompson. There are over 100 tunes including 10 previously unissued alternates.
Wow. I have most of those recordings, but i'd be tempted to get them again if the recording quality is better.

Lawrence

#21 Post by Lawrence » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:

Wow. I have most of those recordings, but i'd be tempted to get them again if the recording quality is better.
As you know, Mosaic ALWAYS improves upon the sound quality. They will also have unreleased alternate takes, even if you think you have everything already.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

lipi

#22 Post by lipi » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:50 am

the lionel set is not out yet, but this week they have a big sale to celebrate their new website:

MOSAIC RECORDS ONE WEEK SALE - ENDS SUNDAY OCTOBER 14th

To thank you for your loyal support and to entice you to delve into the new site, we are putting all Mosaic Box Sets, Mosaic Selects and Mosaic Singles on sale this week and this week only.

Mosaic Records Box Sets are sale priced at 10 - 15% off, Mosaic Selects regularly $44 are sale priced at $39 and Mosaic Singles regularly $15 are sale priced at $13.

Same website address http://www.mosaicrecords.com

trev

#23 Post by trev » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 am

The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-41 Mosaic set is now available for preorder.

"We regard this set as among our very significant releases, because of the moment in music it captures; because of the quality of the music and the sidemen; because of the comprehensive nature of the collection; and because of the sound quality, improved over all other releases thanks to our luck in tracking down every original Victor metal part and test pressing. "

Mosaic have added a short podcast overview for download: Mosaic Records podcast

Easiest purchasing decision I've made this year. :D

anton

#24 Post by anton » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:24 pm

trev wrote:The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-41 Mosaic set is now available for preorder.
It hath arrived! And, it sounds great! :D

anton

Upcoming Lester Young Mosaic Set

#25 Post by anton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 am

I look forward to this - especially given that the Columbia Basie CDs issued so far have quite crappy sound (I have the Definitive sets)

From http://www.mosaicrecords.com/genres.asp?dept=50

Mosaic Limited Edition Box Set
Classic Columbia OKeh & Vocalion Lester Young with Count Basie (1936-1940) 4 CDs
2008 will bring Mosaic's first set to focus on the great Lester Young. The early recordings of this innovative tenor saxophonist are essential to any jazz collection. During the Swing Era, the timbre of his horn and his unorthodox solo concept were a welcome and completely fresh approach to a new school of jazz improvisation. In this four disc set, Mosaic has gathered all of Pres' solo efforts made with Count Basie in a series of classic recordings from the Columbia family of labels.

In addition to all the Basie small group and big band sessions with Pres's solos, we have included the Glenn Hardman Hammond Five date and a Benny Goodman session with Basie, Charlie Christian and Buck Clayton that went unreleased until they were literally salvaged from a garbage can some 25 years later.

But the real news here is that there are thirteen previously unissued alternate takes by the Basie band with Pres, recently discovered in the Sony/BMG vaults!

anton

#26 Post by anton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:27 am

anton wrote:
trev wrote:The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-41 Mosaic set is now available for preorder.
It hath arrived! And, it sounds great! :D
BTW, there was an annoying mistake on the Hampton set - they included Fiddle-Diddle (no fiddle, but vocals) twice and missed out Fiddle-Dee-Dee (fiddle, no vocals) completely.

lipi

#27 Post by lipi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 pm

they will be releasing a lester young set later this year. i couldn't find a page on their website about it, so here's the blurb i got through email:

Mosaic Limited Edition Box Set
Classic Columbia OKeh & Vocalion Lester Young with Count Basie (1936-1940) 4 CDs
2008 will bring Mosaic's first set to focus on the great Lester Young. The early recordings of this innovative tenor saxophonist are essential to any jazz collection. During the Swing Era, the timbre of his horn and his unorthodox solo concept were a welcome and completely fresh approach to a new school of jazz improvisation. In this four disc set, Mosaic has gathered all of Pres' solo efforts made with Count Basie in a series of classic recordings from the Columbia family of labels.

In addition to all the Basie small group and big band sessions with Pres's solos, we have included the Glenn Hardman Hammond Five date and a Benny Goodman session with Basie, Charlie Christian and Buck Clayton that went unreleased until they were literally salvaged from a garbage can some 25 years later.

But the real news here is that there are thirteen previously unissued alternate takes by the Basie band with Pres, recently discovered in the Sony/BMG vaults!

sounds great. i suppose a lot of us already have the complete columbia basie sets, but it's still an interesting release.

lipi

#28 Post by lipi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:50 am

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.a ... =239-MD-CD

they're taking pre-orders now on the lester young/basie set. should ship in early april. $68! a real bargain compared to other mosaic sets. :o) also only 4 cds, but what do you want?

russell

#29 Post by russell » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:49 pm

My Lester Young/Count Basie boxset arrived this morning. Looking forward to checking it out. :D

trev

#30 Post by trev » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 pm

russell wrote:My Lester Young/Count Basie boxset arrived this morning. Looking forward to checking it out. :D
Damn Perth being so far from everywhere... *waits by mailbox* :P