Shopping for music in Cannes, New York and Cleveland

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jonas

Shopping for music in Cannes, New York and Cleveland

#1 Post by Jonas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:38 am

Hi there!

I'll be in Cannes, France between the 3rd and the 9th of May, attending my first Balboa on the Promenade.

I'll be in New York between the 13th and the 15th of June for my first time in the Big Apple.

I'll be in Cleveland between the 15th and the 20th of June for my first All Balboa Weekend.

Do any of you guys know where to go for the "don't miss" jazz record stores. I'm interested in new cd's as well as second hand.

/Jonas

JesseMiner

Re: Shopping for music in Cannes, New York and Cleveland

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:08 am

Jonas wrote:I'll be in New York between the 13th and the 15th of June for my first time in the Big Apple.

Do any of you guys know where to go for the "don't miss" jazz record stores. I'm interested in new cd's as well as second hand.
Check out the good places to shop in NYC thread. Lots of great recommendations there.

Jesse

Jonas

#3 Post by Jonas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:15 am

Thanks a bunch, Jesse!

/Jonas

Nando

#4 Post by Nando » Mon May 01, 2006 6:19 pm

I'm also going to be in Cannes this month, although I'll be there after the Balboa on the Promenade, but I'd love to find a good jazz record store while I'm out there.

And perhaps some recommendations for some good French Swing!

Jonas

#5 Post by Jonas » Tue May 02, 2006 1:37 pm

Nando: I heard from one of the arrangers of the BotP that you'll have to look hard to find a good specialized jazz record store in Cannes. The best bet is a book/cd/dvd/etc-store called FNAC, where they have a decent jazz department. I bought some Chrono Classics at FNAC in Paris last year, but I found prices to be generally higher than in the US and Sweden, so you'd be best off concentrating on some otherwise hard-to-find French jazz music, or other cd's you can't seem to find at home.

/Jonas

Nando

#6 Post by Nando » Mon May 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks,

I went to FNAC on Rue de Antibes. It wasn't a big jazz collection, but some interesting looking albums. But at those prices, I didn't want to take too many chances with CD's I couldn't read or listen to.

But I was able to get Monty Alexander at Montreux, which is near impossible to find in the States, so THANKS!