NEW Boilermaker Jazz Band CD: You Do Something To Me

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Albert System

#16 Post by Albert System » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks Swifty- great meeting you at DCLX- hope you had as much fun as I did! What a great Exchange.

Albert System

#17 Post by Albert System » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:30 am

The CD is now available for purchase and shipment worldwide at www.cdbaby.com

Matthew

#18 Post by Matthew » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:03 am

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:14 am

I just ordered it - can't wait.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Albert System

#20 Post by Albert System » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Please let me know what you think- good and bad, and what tunes you are spinning at your dances. I would love to know what makes a CD work for you all as DJ's and also as fans of the music.

Paul Cosentino
BMJB

Albert System

#21 Post by Albert System » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:16 pm

A little help-

If you know of any radio stations in your town, or anywhere, that play jazz/ swing etc. please let me know. We are trying to get as much airplay as possible.

THANKS!

PC
BMJB

Toon Town Dave

#22 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:54 pm

PM Charleston Charlie, he does a radio show in Vancouver called Sweet n' Hot. It's on www.citr.ca Thursdays at 10AM pacific time (1PM eastern?).

Also, the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg has a radio station with a couple of jazz/"swing" shows ... http://www.umfm.com/ One of the shows is hosted by dancers and friends of mine, I think they play mostly neo-swing stuff (http://www.umswing.com/index.php?pg=radio), I'm sure they'd play Boilermaker's stuff ... just tell them Dave from Saskatoon says they should play it! :wink:

If I think of any others, I'll post the URL or contact info here.

JesseMiner

#23 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:55 am

Albert System wrote:If you know of any radio stations in your town, or anywhere, that play jazz/ swing etc. please let me know. We are trying to get as much airplay as possible.
Check out the often-overlooked Links section of swingdjs.com which features a great list of radio stations that play jazz and blues. The list focuses on stations that stream online, but it should be a good start for your search.

Jesse

Albert System

#24 Post by Albert System » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 am

Thanks Jesse- hope you got the CD I sent ya!

GemZombie

#25 Post by GemZombie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:16 am

I got mine yesterday.. thanks!

It's quite good. I expect to feature it on this weeks Radio show, as I get a better feel for the music I'll let you know what songs we enjoy most.

The show is available as a live streaming link (no archives sorry) at
http://www.kcbx.org/main/ListenLive.htm and is on from 8:00 - 9:00pm Pacific time. Probably not convenient, but there's nothing I can do about that that :)

glenn

#26 Post by glenn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Personally I'd like to hear the war horses of new orleans jazz. The band did them on prior cd's, but the recording quality isn't nearly as good as current cd releases.

Their current cd is worth getting. I would like to have heard more instrumentals....

Albert System

#27 Post by Albert System » Mon May 01, 2006 8:37 am

Actually, there is a reason we don't record the "war horses" of New Orleans Jazz anymore- because they are just that. They have been done to death and we are looking to do different things these days.

Thanks for the input though. It's good to know what everyone prefers....

GemZombie

#28 Post by GemZombie » Mon May 01, 2006 3:28 pm

I agree. The best part of the CD is that I am not hearing the same old music that's done by everyone else. It's a requirement these days for me to give an album a good review.

kitkat

#29 Post by kitkat » Tue May 02, 2006 8:00 am

Thirded! I can hear any band out of New Orleans or played on Riverwalk Jazz play that stuff. Plus, it's better for jazz fans than lindy hoppers, anyway. Why would I want yet another CD of that stuff released, no matter how well the band plays it?

I think it's fantastic that some of the tracks on this CD aren't "jazz standards" but are definitely "lindy hop standards." I'm dating a jazz musician (gypsy jazz, New Orleans jazz, and standards backup when he needs to), so I've been able to look through his real books, run tunes by him, etc.

I looked up 7 of the "best" lindy hop songs I could think of. I tried to come up with songs I hear at almost all the good events, see on the albums recommended by most swing DJs, and hear in contests. Songs everybody who's been dancing a year recognizes to some degree.

I found one in that book--and it was a sappy "standard" version, not one I'd like to dance to.

I think that was the only one my boyfriend had ever been exposed to in his career as a performer, too.

Back to the Boilermakers:
Since they're marketing to lindy hoppers and swing DJs, I'm glad they included modern recordings of things we dig through old records to find.
Who cares if they play the best "I Found a New Baby" in the country? How many intermediate dancers have paid attention to the song? It's probably just another tune to them--and perhaps a Charleston Circle-inspiring one at that.
On the other hand, almost every intermediate swing dancer has been initiated into the not-so-secret ritual of reverently watching Whitey's Lindy Hoppers. Just about anyone who has has heard "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm," even though most jazz fans (besides Duke fans) would say, "Who got what?" Find THAT song in more than one or two obscure real books!

Anyway, yeah...since they're marketing partly to us, I'm very happy that they're not just pushing another trad/New Orleans/swing standards album on us, but truly redoing some "lindy hop standards."

Thanks, Paul. I enjoyed the CD. :-)

Albert System

#30 Post by Albert System » Tue May 02, 2006 9:31 am

You're sweet. You made my day. Thank you so very much.

PC
BMJB