What moves people, these days?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

What moves people, these days?

#1 Post by Matthew » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:45 am

We play for a pretty specialized crowd that's accustomed to (and expects) a specific genre of music. Our dancers want jazz that swings hard, so they can dance well-defined dances. This is all well and good.

The fact is, this music, while timeless, doesn't come from our time; today's world and music are significantly different from those of the swing era. The older music may still get people's toes tapping, but I think it doesn't have the same visceral effect now that it did back then.

So, what does have that effect, today? What music compels people to dance (swing or otherwise)? What current rhythms, sounds, melodies, tempos, etc. make people feel the need to move? Yeah, I know country music would get people moving, but I'd rather they didn't run away.

I asking about this because I'd like to go through my jazz collection and find songs that may have characteristics of today's "must dance" music, songs that I may not have considered. Of course, if you have specific suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

julius

#2 Post by julius » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:41 pm

This question confuses me because the obvious answer would be "hip hop/electronic music", the predominant music of modern dance clubs.

Do you mean, what moves lindy hoppers? Well, you're on even shakier ground there. It totally depends on where you live, and who you associate with. For example you've indicated that your local scene dances to salsa and Outkast and neo and so forth ... LA has numerous sub-scenes that only dance to "X" music, and so on.

Lawrence

Re: What moves people, these days?

#3 Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:26 pm

Matthew wrote: So, what does have that effect, today? What music compels people to dance (swing or otherwise)? What current rhythms, sounds, melodies, tempos, etc. make people feel the need to move?
Anything with a deep, rhythmic bass. Hip Hop, Electric Blues, Disco, Rave, lots of Indie Pop and even some Punk and Metal are all rather different types of music, but they all share deep, loud bass with a constant beat that gets people dancing/moshing/bouncing.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

kitkat

#4 Post by kitkat » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:42 pm

I interpret this question as, "What gets people moving if they aren't in the scene and are showing up at a swing dance for their first time or three? From 1998-200X, it seemed to be 'neo-swing,' since that's what the populace had stuck in their heads as meaning swing. However, now that lots of the high school & college crowd may barely remember hearing 'Jump, Jive, & Wail' on the radio, it might be something else."

Tell me if it's what you meant.

I can't help answer the question.
I keep hoping that high-energy, high-quality big band will be seductive enough if the tunes are rockin', since that's what I like to play. It certainly worked at the Century Ballroom in Seattle the three times I've been there. I don't know what to say about the rest of the world.

Haydn

Re: What moves people, these days?

#5 Post by Haydn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Matthew wrote: ... today's world and music are significantly different from those of the swing era. The older music may still get people's toes tapping, but I think it doesn't have the same visceral effect now that it did back then.

So, what does have that effect, today? What music compels people to dance (swing or otherwise)? What current rhythms, sounds, melodies, tempos, etc. make people feel the need to move?
I think you are talking about music in general, not specifically about swing. The answer is probably commercial hip-hop, which is popular in most countries, and, as far as I know, the dance music of the current generation of people in their teens and twenties.