Need Help Finding a Song

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

swingman dan

Need Help Finding a Song

#1 Post by swingman dan » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:02 pm

I have an MP3 that I think I've miss-labeled. I need help identifing the song and artist and album. I've checked all CD collection, including compilations and no luck. I've searched online for the song as titled with different artists. Bottom line is : I don't think the title I'm searching for and the MP3 are the same. I've included a link to the song below. I like the song and want to find the CD Title , Artist it came from.

www.velocity.net/~danreese/SIPM-ColemanHawkins.mp3

If the link doesn't work ... I can email it if needed ...

Dan :?
Walking the fine line between passion and obsession.

mark0tz

#2 Post by mark0tz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:08 am

To me that sounds kinda like 40s Count Basie, Swingin' on Nothin'. If I'm right, then maybe that song goes by another name because I can't find many people doing that song, including Basie.

... maybe I've just been listening to too much 40s Basie lately...
Mike Marcotte

Mr Awesomer

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:18 am

Don't think it's Basie, definately not "Swingin' On Nothin'," sounds like a Coleman Hawkins group just jammin', don't know for sure...
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#4 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:20 am

Reminds me of "Dance of the gremlins" (Basie). It's the same basic riff without as much counter mellody so I'm wondering if you have an earlier version of it when it might have even had a different name...?

Greg Avakian

#5 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:52 am

Here are questions about 2 other songs:

I have an unlabeled version of "St. louis blues" that sounds like Jimmy Rushing, but (to my knowledge) isn't. It sounds like it was recorded in the 1950+ era so I'm pretty sure it isn't Basie/Rushing. It's a small blues-swing group and the tempo is about 156BPM

Any ideas?

Here's another one: someone told me that Duke ellington's "Wailing interval" is a riff version of another tune ...any idea what that might be?

thanks!

shortyjul

#6 Post by shortyjul » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:03 am

I have 2 or 3 earlier copies of dance of the gremlines and it isn't them - i see the similarity, though.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:06 am

shortyjul wrote:I have 2 or 3 earlier copies of dance of the gremlines and it isn't them - i see the similarity, though.
Yeah, I hear lots of similarities with lots of other songs too, hence my might just be a hawkins jam session theory. Live stuff like this is harder to nail down.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

swingman dan

#8 Post by swingman dan » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:56 pm

The title I originally had this under was "Save It Pretty Mama - Coleman Hawkins". I have two or three versions of "Save It Pretty Mama" on CD, but none of them are it. They are all slower bluesy ballad sounding songs.

I thought maybe it came off an earlier recording, that I have since lost. Almost sounds as if it came off a 78".

Anyway, thanks for trying .... much appreciated.
Walking the fine line between passion and obsession.

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:54 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:Here are questions about 2 other songs:

I have an unlabeled version of "St. louis blues" that sounds like Jimmy Rushing, but (to my knowledge) isn't. It sounds like it was recorded in the 1950+ era so I'm pretty sure it isn't Basie/Rushing. It's a small blues-swing group and the tempo is about 156BPM
there's a version of st louis blues on a Earl Hines cd with Jimmy Rushing on vocals: http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 3228046523

mark0tz

#10 Post by mark0tz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:38 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Don't think it's Basie, definately not "Swingin' On Nothin',"
Ya you're right... that riff at the beginning just had me thinking of that song... But it's definitely not. The piano player still has me thinking Basie, though.
Mike Marcotte

Greg Avakian

#11 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:42 am

CafeSavoy wrote: there's a version of st louis blues on a Earl Hines cd with Jimmy Rushing on vocals:
Score!
Just one of the reasons I love you Rayned. You are the man!

Greg Avakian

#12 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:50 am

mark0tz wrote:
Ya you're right... that riff at the beginning just had me thinking of that song... But it's definitely not. The piano player still has me thinking Basie, though.
I still think it's Basie; the rhythm section and the solo sound like his band in the early 40s -except that there isn't a Coleman Hawkens solo. Gremlins' first solo is definitely CH on the one version I have.

Reuben, you don't think Hawkins would solo on a jammin' tune like that if it was his band? Just a thought...

Swifty

#13 Post by Swifty » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:58 am

CafeSavoy wrote:there's a version of st louis blues on a Earl Hines cd with Jimmy Rushing on vocals: http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 3228046523
I love the cut of "Exactly Like You" on this album. I think I played it on Saturday.

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:59 am

Greg Avakian wrote:Reuben, you don't think Hawkins would solo on a jammin' tune like that if it was his band? Just a thought...
We're not talking Roy "I must solo on everything" Eldridge here, haha.
My Coleman Hawkins thought is because it sounds so much like a live Coleman Hawkins jam session song Andy played for me once. Not to mention it's already labeled Hawkins haha, but that really doesn't mean a thing.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#15 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:04 pm

mark0tz wrote:
that riff appears in quite a few songs; there's a version of Roll'Em by Andy Kirk where he quotes 'swinging on nothing'. There's a few others too, i think on either Royal Garden Blues or Smooth One on the Benny Goodman Time-Life cd he quotes it too. John Kirby quotes a little "easy does it" on one version of his "Mop Mop".