Songs from Chicago, That Thing You Do and other soundtracks

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Songs from Chicago, That Thing You Do and other soundtracks

#1 Post by Ron » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:55 pm

I just love the song "Roxie" from the movie soundtrack Chicago, and it seems like a lot of other dancers love it, too. Its 133 BPM with lots of fun breaks, but it has enough of a steady rhythm to make it suitable for dancing (unlike a lot of other songs from musicals). While dancing I think its fun to sing out all the lyrics, like "... their gonna recognize my eyes, my hair, my cheek, my boobs, my nose!" which is particularly ironic coming from a male. And its fun to hit the breaks... "Roxie!"

I'm sure I'm not the only one to discover this song. In fact, when I played at Lindygroove last Thursday, I asked, and someone said some other DJ had played it there already. Darnit!

Every once in a while I find a song or two on a movie or theatre show soundtrack that's pretty decent. Some selections:

"Dance With Me" from That Thing You Do . Its a 50's style rock and roll song that doesn't swing, but its fun.
"Life Goes to a Party" and "Shout and Feel It" from Swing Kids. I still play these songs.
"King of the Road" by Roger Miller, from Swingers
"This Business of Love" by Domino from Mask. This one was played to death years ago... and I almost forgot,
"Hi De Ho" by K7 from Mask. Hip hop.
"Your Red Wagon" (120 BPM) by Bill Elliott Orchestra from Introducing Dorothy Dandridge . OK song.
"3:00 am Blues", from Sweet and Lowdown . OK song, but long. Great movie, by the way.

There was Hollywood Swing and Jazz, but I didn't find anything on there I was willing to play for dancers. Maybe you've found differently. And I didn't find anything on Swing!

What other good songs are from movie soundtracks?

Platypus

#2 Post by Platypus » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:02 am

Some of the gals here have bought the "Kissing Jessica Stein" soundtrack. Includes stuff you might have in your collection, but the focus on female singers brought them to the attention of our locals.

JohnDyer

#3 Post by JohnDyer » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:33 am

I semi-regularly play from these soundtracks:

Dvine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood:
- Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now: Taj Mahal
- My Mother's Son In Law: Macy Gray

The Majestic (Spencer Wyatt Big Band???):
- Blue Note Boogie - kick A** Boogie Woogie with bull band (208bpm)
- Beguine the Beguine (144bpm)
- Blues in the Bucket - Awesome swing blues tune (118bpm)
John Dyer, Denver CO

paulo

#4 Post by paulo » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:26 am

Hi there,
Actually in France there's a publicity for adidas climacool with a song that i play several times which is very fun:
"Too darn hot" Ella Fitzgerald

Paul

shortyjul

#5 Post by shortyjul » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:50 am

In thinking about my soundtracks, I don't usually DJ from them, but here are a few worth mentioning for your listening pleasure:

Johnny Depp playing Minor Swing and Caravan in "Chocolat" - Bireli Lagrene does it better, but I like the simplicity.

I also give props to the entire "Sweet and Lowdown" soundtrack. Arlen is the shizit.

The soundtrack for "Eraserhead" is where I discovered my love for Fats Waller - it's worth checking out.

Duke Ellington's soundtrack to "Anatomy of a Murder" has some amazing alternate takes. Lots of subtle stuff - shows him as a painter of mood. There are some swinging moments but if you like Duke for everything that he has to offer, this is cool. I LOVELOVELOVE Flirtibird - makes me want to cry every time.

While you're at it, rent "Paris Blues" - Duke, Louis, Paul Newman, and *swoon* Sidney Poitier in 1961. Battle Royale kicks muhf*ckin' arse.

And if you have been living in a cave, the "Kansas City" soundtrack has 12 out of 12 beautiful tracks - tons good for dancing.

In addition, my favorite soundtrack ever was for "Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2" - there isn't any swing, but it certainly depicts my musical tastes at 17. :)

Lindy Bomb

#6 Post by Lindy Bomb » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:57 pm

I've heard local djs play some soundtrack songs...they go over pretty well with most of the dancers, but I'm not a big fan of most of them.

Chicago - When You're Good to Mama
That Thing You Do - That Thing You Do
Moulin Rouge - Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
Rushmore - Here Comes My Baby (by Cat Stevens)
Swing Kids - assorted favourites, including Sing Sing Sing, and Bei mir bist du schoen

Swifty

#7 Post by Swifty » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:37 am

"Flying Home" by Doc's Rhythm Cats on the soundtrack to A League of Their Own is my current favorite version of that song.

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:45 am

There is a decent version of "Jumpin at the Woodside" on the Out to Sea soundtrack.

PhilShapiro

#9 Post by PhilShapiro » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:36 am

I too use "Kansas City" and "Swing Kids".

Another soundtrack I occasionally use is "Bridges of Madison County", It's got a good version of It's a Wonderful World performed by Irene Kral and Junior Mance.

-phil

Lawrence

#10 Post by Lawrence » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:04 am

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the "Del Paxton" song "Time to Blow" on the "That Thing You Do" CD, especially since at least two people have mentioned other songs on that soundtrack. It's one of the best Lindy Hop songs out there: very piano-based, Groove Swing; nice, rolling tempo and feeling. Really phenomenal: worth the price of the CD just for that one song.

("Del Paxton" was a fictitious name for a character in the movie)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#11 Post by mousethief » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:37 pm

ugh.

kalman

mousethief

#12 Post by mousethief » Fri May 02, 2003 8:42 am

paulo wrote:Hi there,
Actually in France there's a publicity for adidas climacool with a song that i play several times which is very fun:
"Too darn hot" Ella Fitzgerald

Paul
that's because it swings.

kalman