RIP Lou Rawls

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

RIP Lou Rawls

#1 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 am

From CNN.com:

Lou Rawls, whose mellifluous baritone was featured on hits ranging from his own "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" to Sam Cooke's "Bring It on Home to Me," has died, CNN has learned. He was 70.

Rawls died Friday morning at a Los Angeles hospital, according to a spokesperson. The singer died of lung cancer.

The singer was as well known for his charitable activities as he was for his four-octave range. He founded the Lou Rawls Parade of Stars Telethon, which raised millions of dollars for the United Negro College Fund.

Rawls was born on December 1, 1935, in Chicago, Illinois. A childhood friend of Sam Cooke -- and, like Cooke, trained in gospel -- as a teenager he took Cooke's place in Cooke's gospel group, the Highway QCs, and later supported Cooke on tour and in the studio. He nearly died in an auto accident while traveling with Cooke in 1958, spending several days in a coma, according to Allmusic.com.

Rawls had his first big solo hit with 1966's "Love Is a Hurtin' Thing," which earned him mention in Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music."

He had his biggest hit in 1976 with "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine," which topped the R&B charts and hit No. 2 on the pop charts. Other hits include "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)," "Natural Man" and "Lady Love."

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:55 am

Miss you, Lou.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Bob the Builder

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:36 am

It is always so sad when you hear the death of a great artist.

RIP Lou

Brian

falty411

#4 Post by falty411 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:49 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:It is always so sad when you hear the death of a great artist.

RIP Lou

Brian
and someone who abuses women
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:13 pm

I recently noticed that the following album was re-released last year. Best I can tell, the full album was not available on CD until last August, although I think certain tracks were available other places.

The version of "Girl from Ipanema" is one of my all time favorite songs. It is going to be nice to have a legit copy of the whole album now.

Album can be found on iTunes, as well traditional CD outlets, online and off.

Live!

1 Stormy Monday Walker 3:05
2 South Side Blues Rawls 2:50
3 Tobacco Road Loudermilk 5:55
4 St. James Infirmary Primrose, Traditional 4:04
5 The Shadow of Your Smile Mandel, Webster 4:10
6 I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water Miller 2:33
7 Goin' to Chicago Blues Basie, Rushing 2:53
8 In the Evening (When the Sun Goes Down) Carr, Raye 6:21
9 The Girl from Ipanema DeMoraes, Gimbel, Jobim 4:30
10 I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) Ellington, Webster 3:44
11 Street Corner Hustler's Blues 3:40