Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Platypus

#16 Post by Platypus » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:34 am

Blues on Purpose

Big Mama Rockstar

#17 Post by Big Mama Rockstar » Tue May 13, 2003 12:41 pm

TRUE STORY:

the day we found out Nina Simone died was our regular swing night at a blues bar

the dj who knows what nina simone sounds like usually.. agreed that it would be rad for my partner and I to use my baby just cares for the demo song at the end of the lesson in honour of her.

he starts the song up when we cue him.... we start dancing. 5 seconds later he stops it and tells me I gave him the worng song number like always... I said " NO that was it start it over" He said" Nina Simone is NOT a man" I said " that wasn't a man that was nina simone"

he embarrisingly put the song back on. argued with me at the end of the lesson to his death that it wasn't nina I went and got the hard case.. showed him and let him play it straight from the original.. he apologized..

that was funny

on a side note we nailed the song and had people rushing us asking us about lindy after wards and begging for us to dance some more. Thanks for the *ON* night NINA!!!

tanya
"Mush damn you MUSH!" " oh no it's the Balboa NAZI!"

Toon Town Dave

#18 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed May 14, 2003 2:58 am

That's horrible.

It's reassuring that even the tone deaf can get a job as a club DJ!

Big Mama Rockstar

#19 Post by Big Mama Rockstar » Wed May 14, 2003 10:43 am

Toon Town Dave wrote:That's horrible.

It's reassuring that even the tone deaf can get a job as a club DJ!

BWAHAHAHAHA

t-
"Mush damn you MUSH!" " oh no it's the Balboa NAZI!"

arf

#20 Post by arf » Fri May 16, 2003 6:58 am

didn't see these two nina simone songs mentioned here...

"Work Song"
"Feeling Good"

Nate Dogg

#21 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:01 am

Mary J. Blige is going to play Nina Simone in a movie.

Simone Biopic Puts Spell On Blige
Billboard.com
December 05, 2005, 10:10 AM ET

Tatiana Siegel and Borys Kit, The Hollywood Reporter
Mary J. Blige will make her feature starring debut in a movie about jazz chanteuse Nina Simone. The MTV Films/Paramount Pictures project will chronicle Simone's ascent to stardom and her relationship with Paris-based manager Clifton Henderson.

Simone, known as the high priestess of soul, rose to fame in the 1960s with signature jazz ballads and such powerful protest songs as "Mississippi Goddam" and "To Be Young, Gifted, and Black," an anthem of the civil rights movement. In 1974, the chanteuse went into exile, eventually ending up in Paris, where she died in 2003.

Blige is gearing up for the Dec. 20 release of "The Breakthrough." The set is the follow-up to the R&B singer's 2003's "Love and Life" (Geffen), which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and has sold more than 940,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.