Hey Mister Jesse Podcast

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JesseMiner

#46 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Episode #019 of the "Hey Mister Jesse" podcast is now available to download and enjoy. July's show features new music from Australia, tons of news, a handclappin' 8-Count Swing, and listener feedback. (69 minutes)

Listen to the show now at www.yehoodi.com/mrjesse!

Jesse

OneTrueDabe

#47 Post by OneTrueDabe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 am

JesseMiner wrote:Episode #019 of the "Hey Mister Jesse" podcast is now available to download and enjoy. July's show features new music from Australia, tons of news, a handclappin' 8-Count Swing, and listener feedback. (69 minutes)

Thanks, Jesse, for featuring my Swing Mashups! I'm honored that you enjoyed them enough to mention them on your show! :-D

(PS - Yes, you pronounced my name correctly. That's what I get for having such... uhm... "creative" parents! Hehe!)

Cheers!

JesseMiner

#48 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am

And thank you for all of your hard work putting the mash-ups together. Keep 'em coming!

Jesse

JesseMiner

#49 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:51 am

Episode #020 of the Hey Mister Jesse podcast is now available to download and enjoy. August's show features lots of news, a swinging soul tune by Eli "Paperboy" Reed. a jam-inciting 8-Count Swing, and an interview with and song by the legendary Linda Hopkins. (69 minutes)

Jesse

JesseMiner

#50 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:26 pm

Episode #021 of the Hey Mister Jesse podcast, recorded in front of a live studio audience at Swing Out New Hampshire, is now available to download and enjoy. September's show features a ton of great new releases, the DJs' choice 8-Count Swing, an interview with and songs by the inspirational Dawn Hampton and questions from our live audience. (68 minutes)

Jesse

Toon Town Dave

#51 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Great show.

Quite a pleasant surprise to hear other DJ's are spinning Terra Hazleton. I have to recommend her CD "Anybody's Baby" which includes "The Spinach Song", great versions of "Sugar Blues", "Let's Do It" and "Sunday" and for the blues dancers, the title track "Anybody's Baby". It's just generally a fun CD. Terra often performs with Jeff Healey's Jazz Wizards when they're on tour, the studio recordings only capture a tenth of the energy of the live shows.

In the "if you liked that, you might like this category", another great version of "Gal from Joe's" is off the Johnny Hodges CD, "with Billy Strayhorn and the Orchestra". It's a later recording, with Billy Strayhorn leading Duke Ellington's Orchestra" Not quite as punchy, with more of a shuffle rhythm but really highlights Hodges' sax. It's one of my favorites.

JesseMiner

#52 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Yeah, I am definitely going to pick up Terra Hazelton's CD now!

And thanks for the reminder about that Johnny Hodges version of "The Gal From Joe's". I haven't listened to that album in a while - I will definitely have to remember to play it again soon at a dance. I also really dig Charlie Barnet's version from Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie (not sure why Amazon doesn't list all of the tracks - this is a killer album!).

Jesse

Jonas

#53 Post by Jonas » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:29 pm

Hey!

Thanks for the heads up on "new" music :wink:

The Harlem Kiddies track from Mike Thibault sounded just amazing! I'm getting the CD from Denmark right away...

The Hep CD with live instrumental Ella Fitzgerald (post-Webb) has been on my must-buy list since it came out here in Sweden.

/Jonas

russell

#54 Post by russell » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:43 am

Great show Jesse. Enjoyed the live feel from SONH. Already ordered some of the new CDs featured :?

While on the subject of Gal from Joe's, another favourite version is Nina Simone from Sings Ellington.

Haydn

#55 Post by Haydn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:38 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Episode #020 of the Hey Mister Jesse podcast is now available to download and enjoy. August's show features lots of news, a swinging soul tune by Eli "Paperboy" Reed. a jam-inciting 8-Count Swing, and an interview with and song by the legendary Linda Hopkins. (69 minutes)

Jesse
Sorry - I'm a bit behind at the moment :oops: , but wanted to congratulate you on the August show #020 which I've just heard. I particularly enjoyed the 8-count swing on songs for Jam Circles, with your live commentary over the sound clips. Some great songs there too.

trev

#56 Post by trev » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:36 am

Jonas wrote: The Harlem Kiddies track from Mike Thibault sounded just amazing! I'm getting the CD from Denmark right away...
Great track! Does anyone know the easiest way of ordering this album?

Edit: I used my amazing Google skillz and found an online store that sells it: http://www.timelessjazz.com/shop/produc ... cts_id=778
Last edited by trev on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonas

#57 Post by Jonas » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:54 am

Hey Trev!

Thanks to your link I now know exactly on what number on Humphry Street you live :wink:

I might order it from Timeless, since the guys on the Little Beat website don't seem to be really that fast on the draw...

/Jonas

trev

#58 Post by trev » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 am

oops! - URL edited!

Mike

#59 Post by Mike » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:38 am

trev wrote:
Jonas wrote: The Harlem Kiddies track from Mike Thibault sounded just amazing! I'm getting the CD from Denmark right away...

Edit: I used my amazing Google skillz and found an online store that sells it: http://www.timelessjazz.com/shop/produc ... cts_id=778
Glad you guys dig the track, you'll love the rest of the CD too. I wrote the email listed on the Little Beat order page and they told me how much the total plus shipping would be. They initially wanted me to send cash in the mail (!) but later said Paypal would be okay.

Enjoy!
Mike

Jonas

#60 Post by Jonas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:13 am

Mike wrote:
trev wrote:

Glad you guys dig the track, you'll love the rest of the CD too. I wrote the email listed on the Little Beat order page and they told me how much the total plus shipping would be. They initially wanted me to send cash in the mail (!) but later said Paypal would be okay.

Enjoy!
Mike
Hey, thanks for the heads up Mike. I didn't know about the Kiddies, and they were here all along, almost in my own back yard. I got my copy from Timeless today. "Do You Wanna Jump, Children?" is the best track in my opinion, but I dig "Bye Bye Blues" and "Alligator Swing" as well.

Peder at Little Beat Records e-mailed me, asking if I might have any clue as to why Timeless all of a sudden had sold ten copies of the Kiddies CD in a few days after a long period of fairly lukewarm interest... :D

/Jonas