Hi im Chris and based in the UK

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

ChrisU

Hi im Chris and based in the UK

#1 Post by ChrisU » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:35 am

Hi. Im Chris and im a DJ in the UK playing mainly for Ceroc, swing jive and R&R.

Getting more and more into playing blues as blues dancing is now getting big in the UK. Loving every minute of it.

Thanks for some of the great music suggestions im getting on this top site.

Some of the music is hard for me to find in the UK but ITUNES and other sites help.

Looking forward to your future help and advice.
Chris
:lol: [/quote]

Haydn

Re: Hi im Chris and based in the UK

#2 Post by Haydn » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:02 pm

ChrisU wrote:Hi. Im Chris and im a DJ in the UK playing mainly for Ceroc, swing jive and R&R.

Getting more and more into playing blues as blues dancing is now getting big in the UK. Loving every minute of it.

Thanks for some of the great music suggestions im getting on this top site.

Some of the music is hard for me to find in the UK but ITUNES and other sites help.

Looking forward to your future help and advice.
Chris
:lol:
Hi Chris,

I'm in the UK too (in London). I find you can order CDs fairly cheaply via Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Many will ship from the USA, but still good value in my opinion.

You can use these searches ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 42-6751840

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 0i7STUnC05

If there's some particular music you are looking for, post a question about where to buy it, and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:15 pm

Hi Chris, welcome aboard. It's ironic since many of us here seem to think that there is broader selection of music in europe. For example, many titles on amazon.uk are not available here. Also since the copyright laws are different, many old recordings were reissued first in europe.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:40 pm

CD's are defintely the way to go. Itunes will probably be allowing every garage band to upload and sell their own stuff long before much of the music some of us DJ makes it up.

You should look into stuff from Proper Records, it's a UK based label that basically releases stuff where the copyright has expired in Europe. Most DJs here know the label for it's 4-CD boxed sets of Jazz artists although Proper has lots more stuff. They have a pretty big selection of Jazz and various blues/R&B stuff.

There are also lots of European bands that do a decent job recreating the style of music we DJ so you may have slightly better access to current artists.

The record industry in North America tends to focus on the latest boy bands and pop divas so most jazz and blues tends to be removed from mainstream record stores. Check around for shops or on-line sellers in the UK and Europe that specialize in Jazz and/or Blues. Much of what we buy here is imported so you can probably save a few quid buying a little closer to home.