Duke Ellington and “Lets get together”

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:23 pm

I’m sure most of us are familiar with Duke’s recording of “Lets get together” which many of us have on the “Really Swingin’: Frankie Manning’s Big Band Favorites”. It is originally off the Reprise Studio Recordings of 1962 and it is also available on another Ellington CD called “Recollections of the Big Band Era”.

I’ve been told that Duke made another recording of “Lets get together” possibly in the 60’s. If this recording does exist I’m having problems locating it. It may only be on LP.
Has anyone come across such a recording?

Brian :D

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:54 am

Allmusic doesn't list any other Duke Ellington versions of "Let's Get Together." There aren't that many versions listed. The only versions listed by allmusic are below. However I do know the list is incomplete since it doesn't include the version by the Widespread Depression Orchestra.

Van Alexander Chick Webb Home of Happy Feet/Swing Staged for Sound 2001 Rock
Carolina Cotton Pickers Chick Webb Territory Bands: 1935-1937 2001 Jazz
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra Chick Webb Really Swingin': Frankie Manning's Big Band 1998 Jazz
Duke Ellington Chick Webb Recollections of the Big Band Era 1976 Jazz
Duke Ellington Chick Webb Reprise Studio Recordings 1962 Jazz
Ella Fitzgerald & Her Famous Orchestra Chick Webb On the Air: The Complete 1940 Broadcasts 1998 Vocal
Ella Fitzgerald & Her Famous Orchestra Chick Webb On the Air: The Complete 1940 Broadcasts 1998 Vocal
Ella Fitzgerald Chick Webb Let's Get Together 1993 Vocal
Ella Fitzgerald Chick Webb Radio Years 1940 1999 Vocal
Ella Fitzgerald Chick Webb Radio Years 1940 1999 Vocal
Mills Blue Rhythm Band Chick Webb 1936-1937 1936 Jazz
Mills Blue Rhythm Band Chick Webb Swing Era 1994 Jazz
Don Neely Chick Webb Sophisticated Swing 1995 Jazz
Chick Webb & His Orchestra Chick Webb 1929-1934 1929 Jazz
Chick Webb & His Orchestra Chick Webb Big Band Era [Charly] 2002 Jazz
Chick Webb & His Savoy Orchestra Chick Webb 1930's: The Big Bands 1930 Jazz
Chick Webb & His Savoy Orchestra Chick Webb Columbia Jazz Masterpiece Series: 1930s Big Band Jazz
Chick Webb & His Savoy Orchestra Chick Webb Stompin' at the Savoy [ASV/Living Era] 2002 Jazz
Chick Webb Chick Webb Introduction to Chick Webb 1929-1939 1995 Jazz
Chick Webb Chick Webb Rhapsodies in Black: Music and Words From the Harlem Renaissance 2000 Jazz
Chick Webb Chick Webb Rhythm Man 1992 Jazz
Chick Webb Chick Webb Stompin' at the Savoy [Fabulous] 2003 Jazz
Chick Webb West Coast Jive 1945 Jazz

Eyeball

Re: Duke Ellington and “Lets get together”

#3 Post by Eyeball » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:05 am

Bob the Builder wrote:Duke Ellington and “Lets get together”

I’ve been told that Duke made another recording of “Lets get together” possibly in the 60’s. If this recording does exist I’m having problems locating it. It may only be on LP.
Has anyone come across such a recording?

Brian :D
fwiw - It is fairly unlikely that Duke would have done more than one version of this tune at the time....unless an alternate take is out there.

While he was on the Reprise label, he did two....maybe three...LPs of big band favorites which included many things he never played before or since on record. It was purely a 'commercial' gimmick to capture the stereo, big band, nostalgia market and buyer.

Natch, the stuff turned out pretty good as that was a good time for Ellington....even his Mary Poppins LP on Reprise is way better than anyone would ever expect.

Bob the Builder

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:40 am

I came across another recording of "Let's get together" by a Sydney band called the "Mell-o-tones". It's not to bad. not to much else on the album.
Here is a link to it. ABC
For some reason it only list a few songs. There are 21 on this CD.

Brian

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#5 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:20 am

"It is originally off the Reprise Studio Recordings of 1962 and it is also available on another Ellington CD called “Recollections of the Big Band Era”.

Was it released in 1962 or recorded in 1962?

How is the "Recollections of the Big Band Era" CD itself, are there any other good tracks on it? Is it all Ellington?

Alex

JesseMiner

#6 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am

Let me refer you to the allmusic.com link I posted in your other thread. Allmusic has all of the information you seek: the recording dates were Nov 29, 1962 - Jan 4, 1963, and you can listen to sound samples of all of the songs on the album. It is all Ellington doing 1930s and 1940s standards of the different great big band leaders.

There are some gems on the album, most notably "Let's Get Together" and "For Dancers Only" which I play all the time. Definitely recommended.

Jesse

Greg Avakian

#7 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Interesting. I think 'recollectoions...' is a bit tepid myself.
I love "Let's get together"!
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa