Indian Swing Music

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

russell

Indian Swing Music

#1 Post by russell » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:20 pm

Bizzare request I know. Our performance group is performing at a Indian (the country) multicultural festival in a few weeks. I thought it might be fun to dance to some Indian swing music (if such exists) in the tradition of Bollywood. Does anyone know of any examples? :shock:

trev

#2 Post by trev » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:44 pm

I heard some played on the radio once. It was an interesting mix of Big Band Swing and that Bollywood sound. The artist was Lata Mangeshkar. Unfortunately finding the right track might be difficult, because she is the "most recorded artist in the world with not less than 30,000 solo, duet and chorus-backed songs recorded in 20 Indian languages between 1948 and 1987" Good luck!

Matthew

#3 Post by Matthew » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:20 pm

If you want something really wild, check out Disco Bhangra. Make sure you listen to the clip of "Tequila." I don't have this CD, but your post reminded me of it.

For a good, general CD of bhangra - one that I do have - check out Bombay Bhangra Club. Track four, "Charigye," is about 215 bpm (don't quote me on that), and has a lot of energy. I've danced crazy Lindy one or twice with it, and it wore me out.

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:28 pm

there are some 50's things which work. give "ina mina dika" by kishore kumar a try. the asha bhosle one is easier to find (on, for instance, the rough guide to asha bhosle), but is hard to dance to, i believe (no speakers here, so i can't check the amazon sample to make sure).

Haydn

Re: Indian Swing Music

#5 Post by Haydn » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:05 pm

russell wrote:Bizzare request I know. Our performance group is performing at a Indian (the country) multicultural festival in a few weeks. I thought it might be fun to dance to some Indian swing music (if such exists) in the tradition of Bollywood. Does anyone know of any examples? :shock:
Dawn Hampton uses a Bhangra number in her show. It goes down well, but it's not swing 'as we know it'. I'm don't know what it's called, but someone may know.

swing-o-logy

Jazz and Hot Dance in India and Thailand

#6 Post by swing-o-logy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:51 am

Hi,

I found recently interesting Harlequin-LPs from the mid 80's "Jazz And Hot Dance In ..." - somewhere. - It ranges from Spain, Norway, Germany, Argentinia, Russia, Trinidad up to bizarre recordings from India and Thailand, each record dedicated to one specific country, all recordings from the 20's to late forties. - In the case of India, check out the bands of Teddy Weatherford, Reuben Solomon and Crickett Smith. In the case of Thailand (near India), keep an eye on the countrie's regent King Phoemipol, the real regent, who has played in Thailand saxophone along Jack Teagarden, Lionel Hampton and Benny Goodman. - A swinging regent 4 decades before Bill Clinton. - Fancy!
Also the was Prasarn Mittr and the Police Band from the mid 50's, real gone!

I hope, we could help a bit

swingcerely

www.swing-o-logy.de