Swing/Jazz Music for Critical Listening

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

#16 Post by julius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:59 am

Cool info. One note: a "condensor" mic is not the opposite of a "direct" mic. A condensor is a type of microphone (dynamic being the other common type), whereas a direct mic is how you use a microphone. You can direct-mike an instrument with a condensor, but it would be pretty dumb since condensors are so sensitive they'd pick up any motion (if the mike were attached to the instrument) or an accidental bump.

This is a cool read:
http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_bac ... es_20.html

Lawrence

#17 Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:00 pm

julius wrote:Cool info. One note: a "condensor" mic is not the opposite of a "direct" mic. A condensor is a type of microphone (dynamic being the other common type), whereas a direct mic is how you use a microphone. You can direct-mike an instrument with a condensor, but it would be pretty dumb since condensors are so sensitive they'd pick up any motion (if the mike were attached to the instrument) or an accidental bump.
Yes, my mistake--it was off the top of my head. At least I remembered that it started with a "d". :-)

That link is a good read. It's so great that other people figured all this stuff out for us before we were even born so we could enjoy the benefits during our lives. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

wheresmygravy

#18 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:09 pm

Great Great info guys. I will definitely look for a few of those recordings.
I didn't even really think of trying to find big band recordings. But I can understand how if mic'd recorded and mastered correctly, it would be amazing. And Paul I may take you up on your offer...

Anyone have any trio/quartet suggestions.

You will laugh, but I actually found some good material from an old stand-by. Lou Rawls with Les McCann "Stormy Monday" CD. They remastered it in 1990 from the original 1962 three-track recordings and there are a couple of songs which have great depth and and placement. "Willow Weep for Me" is well done with definite placement of the piano, bass, drums and Lou's vocals up front.

When I get back home I plan on giving a critical listen to a Joe Williams CD from the 80's called "Nothing but The Blues"

Thanks once again.