Definitive Records? Anybody familiar with this release?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Charleston Charlie

Definitive Records? Anybody familiar with this release?

#1 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:45 pm

Hey, gang.

I need to upgrade my Count Basie. I really need something complete- with the increasing rarity of my beloved CLC Classics cds this label seems to have that, but I have never seen it before now.

Does anyone have anything by this label? How is the remastering and sound quality? Thanks for any info!

http://www.disconforme.ad/pages2/defini ... =DRCD11175
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:06 pm

It's a good set. It's probably the best way to get those mostly 40s recordings. I'm not sure how much overlap there is with the 40's Columbia recordings. Perhaps someone will remember if we have discussed that before.

There was also a discussion somewhere else on the board contrasting the 30's Definitive recordings with the Complete Decca set. I think most thought they were equivalent.

Charleston Charlie

#3 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:55 pm

I'm not sure how much overlap there is with the 40's Columbia recordings. Perhaps someone will remember if we have discussed that before.

There was also a discussion somewhere else on the board contrasting the 30's Definitive recordings with the Complete Decca set. I think most thought they were equivalent.
I checked into that, too. I hate duplicating, and avoid it wherever possible. They have the complete decca, columbia and victor recordings that Basie made in different releases, as well as the best of the columbia recordings in a separate release.

The have: Complete Decca, Complete RCA/Victor, and Complete Columbia, Best Columbia Recordings, and something called "The Kid From Red Bank". The "Complete" sets are 3CD sets.

I guess it's the problem with having the compulsion to be complete. I MUST HAVE everything he did in the 36-47 time frame.

Bear Family does an amazing job of pandering to the completist. Here's something I am currently lusting over:

http://www.bear-family.de/mailorder/sho ... =BCD+15933
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:01 pm

definitive records have been discussed a few times. in particular, check the "complete basie -- how to get it" thread in this forum. one of the last posts in that thread is a summary by kitkat, and it mentions overlap between the complete columbia discs and the "america's number 1 band" set (which is about half columbia material, i believe). the conclusion was that it's probably worth getting both, since the two extra discs in the america box are fun, and the sound quality of the columbia stuff in the america box is slightly better than the same tracks in the definitive box.

i don't think decca overlap was discussed anywhere.

there's also a, much older, thread titled something like "definitive records on amazon" where yakov (i think...) attempted to list all the releases available on amazon with links and everything. people posted a few comments there, too.

as for definitive: i have two of the complete columbia sets and the rca-victor one of basie's, a few armstrong ones (complete decca for various years), the complete holiday on verve (fantastic), and some lester young stuff. all sound great to my tin ears. better than the chronological classics cd's i have, on average (though i have no direct comparisons to make). i say go for it.

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:56 am

Thanks for bringing that up, Lipi. I stand by my statement that if you're a DJ who's concerned about making old recordings as appealing as possible, invest in the America's #1 Band set even though it doubles you up. The Definitive release isn't horrible, but it's a little muffled, whereas the America's release is rich.

Charleston Charlie

#6 Post by Charleston Charlie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:40 pm

I'm going for the America's # 1 Band Box Set. It seems to complement my Complete Decca Recordings in the best possible way.

Thanks for the input, gang.
Artie Shaw

trev

#7 Post by trev » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:44 am

Yes, for early Basie I'd suggest:

Complete Original American Decca Recordings
-THEN-
America's #1 Band (columbia years)
-THEN-
Complete Original American RCA-Victor Recordings
-THEN-
Fill in your gaps with the lesser quality recordings

Charleston Charlie

#8 Post by Charleston Charlie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:54 pm

Word.

BTW, I have a weekly radio show on CITR 101.9 FM here in Vancouver BC. 10am - noon on Thursdays; (pacific time). www.citr.ca
Artie Shaw