Qaudromania label

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Qaudromania label

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:44 pm

Has anyone got any of the 4 box sets off the Qaudromania label.
There is a load of 4 CD box sets on ebay for around the $15 mark.
It has all the big swing artists like, Dorsey, Lunceford, Shaw and the list goes on and on.

It says its High-End Mastering: 24 Bit - 96 KHZ.
Any freedback on sound quality and liner notes would be great.

here are some of them - link

Brian

Serg

#2 Post by Serg » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:23 am

Yes, I found this collection while shopping at the CD Warehouse store. I started a thread on it a couple of months back. You can find the thread here:

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... uadromania

Serg

Bob the Builder

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:56 pm

Thanks Serg.

I'm really taking a liking to getting a lot of my material by Box Sets these days. Generally the quality and value for money is good.

Brian :D

russell

#4 Post by russell » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:00 pm

One of my local CD shops has some of their classical stuff. They imported it as a one-off special import. I have them investigating whether I can order in some of their jazz stuff. For us in Australia the shipping costs are more than the price of the box sets for the ones on eBay.

Here is a link to the parent company. They have a lot of other material as well such as 2 cd sets etc

http://www.membran.net/db_php_eng/index.php

Also found partner site that ships internationally

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/home/

Bob the Builder

#5 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:34 am

I can now pick up some of these box sets for just $10 Aus Dollers.
The remastering is just fantastic and the linner notes contain all the relevent recording information. How good is that.

Brian

russell

#6 Post by russell » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:58 am

What is your source BTB?
I might have to make another trp to Melbourne. :shock:

Jonas

#7 Post by Jonas » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:00 am

I got the Johhny Dodds "Clarinet Wobble 1923-1940" [4CD] [Quadromania #222423-444, 2005] a month ago, the remastering is ok, like Past Perfect or Proper, liner notes ok if not very good, some recordings have no info on band or players, but the music is great, there are recordings with Oliver, Armstrong and Morton, but I particularly like his own later stuff, for example the 1938 "Wild Man Blues" and "Blues Galore" by Dodds and His Chicago Boys.

Quadromania is cheap and a great buy if you want an overwiew of an artist, and for artists like Dodds, where I other than on Quadro and overpriced Chrono Classics couldn't find his stuff here in Sweden. For sound quality though, there are other better labels.

/Jonas

Bob the Builder

#8 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:31 pm

russell wrote:What is your source BTB?
I might have to make another trp to Melbourne. :shock:
You know me Russell.

If it's out their I'll get it, and at half price.
(AUS$10 = US$7.4)
Yes it was the Dango CD I picked up. 1939 crystal clear recordings.

A bit like the way I found the Past Pertect 24 Carrot Gold 10 CD box sets for AUS$15. (=US$11)

Brian

julius

#9 Post by julius » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Went to Amoeba recently and saw lots of these Quadromania sets. I picked up a Pee Wee Russell (some of which I have from an Eddie Condon box set already, but whatever) which is nice. There are no liner notes beyond recording date and personnel.

The little prongs that hold the CD in the 4-cd case all broke off. When I opened the case I wound up with a shower of little plastic bits. Anyway, the recordings are from the thirties and early forties along with a recording session from 1961. To my ear the sound quality is perfectly acceptable.

Like someone said earlier, amazing value for the money. I got it for $10.98. If you're a completist you're probably better off buying Chronogical but to my ear these sound better than Chronogical. If/when I go back I'll probably pick up other sets for artists whose music I don't have so much of.

(BTW Pee Wee himself is fantastic and is surrounded by fantastic musicians.)

CMU Matt

#10 Post by CMU Matt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:00 pm

The CD cases are cheap so I don't recommend using them for transport; only for storage. The tabs break with a minum of pressure (i.e., trying to place a CD into the case).

The Jimmie Lunceford set, which I was kind of excited to receive, actually has terrible quality on all four discs. I actually considered it a waste of my $9. Do not get it unless you are prepared for that and are cool with it.

The Pee Wee Russell set impressed me, which spurred my decision to buy more of them. The Johnny Dodds set is pretty great (regardless of the fact that probably 1/4 of the songs are low in quality - I think that's more due to the original recording than remastering, however).

Basically I'm not sure I'd buy another Quadromania unless I have $9 to burn and am willing to take the risk on quality. I might be more willing if I could preview or sample the songs but Amazon doesn't have samples for the Quadromania discs and I haven't had time to search around to see if anyone else does.

Matt

Bob the Builder

#11 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:39 pm

I quite liked the Jimmie Lunceford box set.

Brian