Ella 8 CD Box Set

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

junglekid

Ella 8 CD Box Set

#1 Post by junglekid » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:10 am

I've heard tell of an 8 CD box set by Ella that's only available in the States. Apparently it has a kicking version of Mack the Knife on it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

CafeSavoy

Re: Ella 8 CD Box Set

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:15 pm

junglekid wrote:I've heard tell of an 8 CD box set by Ella that's only available in the States. Apparently it has a kicking version of Mack the Knife on it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
I'm not sure which box set that is. But i know that Ella has at least six versions. Wonder if that's a different version than the ones i've seen.

lipi

#3 Post by lipi » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:36 pm

the only 8 disc ella set i know of is the duke & ella cote d'azure concerts on verve set. it has two versions of mack the knife. i suspect it's available outside the u.s. i have not heard the full set (one of these days i'll cave and order it, no doubt).

the 2-disc ella & duke at the cote d'azur set (excerpts from the above) has one of these two versions, which is good, but not stupendously better than any of the others (like, say, the berlin one). a little faster, i think, and more energy. more driving.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:43 pm

lipi wrote:the only 8 disc ella set i know of is the duke & ella cote d'azure concerts on verve set. it has two versions of mack the knife. i suspect it's available outside the u.s. i have not heard the full set (one of these days i'll cave and order it, no doubt).
I would imagine this is the set being asked about. I highly recommend it if you are a big Ella/Duke fan. It is several consecutive live recording sessions with many of the same songs repeated, so it's probably not of interest to the casual listener.
lipi wrote:the 2-disc ella & duke at the cote d'azur set (excerpts from the above) has one of these two versions, which is good, but not stupendously better than any of the others (like, say, the berlin one). a little faster, i think, and more energy. more driving.
This is probably the version of "Mack The Knife" being asked about, and yes, the version is available on the 2-CD set as well as the 8-CD set. This is the upbeat Ella version that is most often played at dances and that has been a jam staple for lindy hoppers in San Francisco over the past 6 years.

Jesse

junglekid

#5 Post by junglekid » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:32 am

Thanks Alex & Jesse.

Hunting time.

Manu

#6 Post by Manu » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 am

As a Huge Fan of Duke & Ella(specially Ella) I confirm what Jesse said, the 8Cd box Ella & Duke at the cote d'azur is a must have

For others, the 2cd box is enough I guess. I contains very good material.

Manu

CafeSavoy

#7 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:02 am

I agree the Cote d'Azur is a good set. Although i think of it as a Duke Ellington set with some Ella on it. I agree with Jesse that the version of Mack the Knife on it is one of her best.