Blossom Dearie

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Blossom Dearie

#1 Post by Yakov » Tue May 03, 2005 10:39 am

I wanted to post this link and, incredibly, found that we haven't yet started a Blossom Dearie thread.

Here's the link: http://www2.odn.ne.jp/airstructures/rev ... earie.html

It's a very thorough, well-written review of Blossom Dearie's discography.

-Yakov.

Nando

#2 Post by Nando » Tue May 03, 2005 11:30 pm

Wow, there's a lot there.

I don't feel comfortable with that rating system though. I personally like some of her albums better than the author did and like others less.

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Wed May 04, 2005 10:37 am

Want to be more specific? :wink:

Naomi

Blossom

#4 Post by Naomi » Mon May 16, 2005 8:51 am

I have 1 Blossum Dearie song I like to play as kind of a novelty song once in a blue moon.

Doop-Doo-De-Doop (A Doodlin' Song) - Blossom Dearie
Jazz For Kids
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 05-8795302

Sometimes, I find her voice obnoxiously cute for my taste. But sometimes I'm in the mood for it.

I'm curious; if you wanted to start a Blossom Dearie thread, what did you want to say about her?

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon May 16, 2005 9:08 am

She did a duet of "Peel Me a Grape" with Lyle Lovett that I sometimes play in blues room situations. It was part of an Banana Republic in store giveaway.

I don't think it was every commercially released, but you can find it on file sharing networks.

If anybody knows of it showing up elsewhere, please chime in.

Nando

#6 Post by Nando » Mon May 16, 2005 10:15 am

Yakov wrote:Want to be more specific? :wink:
Well particularly the self titled Verve album. The Author gave it 3 stars, while putting her others much higher even though I feel there's a bit more danceable tunes in that source - although someone's best bet is just getting the Verve Master session anyway.

He also rates some of her cabaret albums higher, which are the later ones. I don't really dig them as much... but even her non-danceable stuff is great for listening.

And I agree with the Doodlin Song. Rayned introduced me to Blossom, but I found that gem on my own :-)

JohnDyer

#7 Post by JohnDyer » Fri May 20, 2005 2:44 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:She did a duet of "Peel Me a Grape" with Lyle Lovett that I sometimes play in blues room situations. It was part of an Banana Republic in store giveaway.

I don't think it was every commercially released, but you can find it on file sharing networks.

If anybody knows of it showing up elsewhere, please chime in.
I "think" I got my copy from emusic before they were taken over by the evil empire, limiting you to only 40 songs/month :) I play this version every once in awhile as well.
John Dyer, Denver CO

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat May 21, 2005 6:39 pm

I would be really surprised if you got it off eMusic. I kept a pretty good eye on that site. They did put up some Blossom Dearie back when they had the Verve albums.

iTunes has Blossom Dearie and Lyle Lovett tracks (separate), but not their duet.

Nathan
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Mon May 23, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yakov

#9 Post by Yakov » Sun May 22, 2005 10:33 am

yes, the doodlin song rocks

wjaybee

Blossom Dearie & lyle lovett

#10 Post by wjaybee » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:26 pm

I have their duet of "peel me a grape" but I don't have the date it was recorded. I can't find it on any of the databases, since I don't think it was released, just part of a giveaway at Banana Republic.

Does anyone know the date???

thanks

jay

Naomi

#11 Post by Naomi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:31 am

There's a version of Peel Me A Grape on Blossom Dearie - Live In London, but I'm not sure if it's the one you want. Amazon states that the recordings were done "in the sixties."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... B00007JGS5

I just picked up "Give Him The Oh-La-La," a really fun album. Plenty of danceable stuff, and some nice listening stuff as well. This September 1957 quartet features guitarist Herb Ellis, bassist Ray Brown, drummer Jo Jones, and Blossom Dearie on piano & vocals. The first song is especially fast & furious & probably not something people would want to dance to, but it makes for great listening. Dance tunes include "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea", "The Middle Of Love", "Plus Je T'Embrasse", and another great novelty song, "Give Him The Ooh-La-La."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... B000007QK4