Proper Box: Jazz in Britain (1919-1950)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

GemZombie

Proper Box: Jazz in Britain (1919-1950)

#1 Post by GemZombie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:18 pm

I'm here at the radio station recording my show and playing from this brand new box set. It's awesome! Lots of good music (plenty dancable) from a lot of lesser known bands, as well as some well known too.

I'm going to add this to the list of Highly recommended boxes. I'd love to hear some of the music spun at dance events.

Yay for "new" music!

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#2 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:06 pm

I think I may get this, I have some pretty tight stuff from both Ray Noble and Bert Ambrose...the only good version of "Powerhouse" I could find was a Bert Ambrose arrangement...I heard Ted Heath is pretty good too...

junglekid

#3 Post by junglekid » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:08 am

AlekseyKosygin wrote:...I heard Ted Heath is pretty good too...
Ted Heath kicks ass. Unfortunately there are lots of really crappy cds of his out there with tacky rubbish on, but if you hunt a bit you can find some absolutely romping tunes.

I'm interested to hear this set - I thought Ted was our only decent big band leader. I've certainly heard some terrible Jack Hylton stuff - his singing makes him sound like a poor man's Fred Astaire.

Tom

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:34 pm

hmmmmmmmmmm. the newer dj of Swing years and beyond, a radio swing show broadcast Sat night on one of our NPR stations, plays a lot of British war time bands. I've always liked them, will have to check this out.