RIP, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

RIP, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen

#1 Post by Yakov » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:34 am

Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen played bass with Oscar Peterson during the later part of OP's career... he's on "Exclusively For My Friends."
I don't know what else he did.
Anyway, he passed away yesterday, at the age of 56.

Swifty

#2 Post by Swifty » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:31 am

Oh, that sucks - he was a great bassist. He was on Basie & Friends, among many others. The song "N.H.Ø.P." was named after him.

allmusic.com wrote:Biography by Scott Yanow

A virtuoso who mostly has played in bop-oriented settings, Niels Pedersen has been in great demand since he was a teenager. One of many superb European bassists to emerge during the 1960s, Pedersen originally studied piano before starting to play bass with Danish groups when he was 14. He had to reluctantly turn down Count Basie's offer to join his orchestra when he was just 17, but worked steadily as the house bassist at the Club Montmartre and as a member of the Danish Radio Orchestra.

Whenever American jazzmen passed through Scandinavia, they asked for Pederson; during the 1960s he played with Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, Roland Kirk, Dexter Gordon, Bud Powell, and even Albert Ayler (although the latter's session was not too successful). In the 1970s, Pedersen was featured in a duo with Kenny Drew. Starting in the mid-'70s, he was an occasional member of the Oscar Peterson Trio and he recorded several dates as a leader for SteepleChase. Pedersen also recorded in many different settings for Pablo Records during the era. He has remained very active up to the current time.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:31 am

Wow, he was still touring with OP last year.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:20 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ortal.html

Yeah, I was at the same concert Kevin went to last year - at Jazz Alley. I'm feeling very lucky that I got to hear him in person, he was truly amazing.